Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Nirensimt Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?

1. Since the completion of Ecstasy/Agony, I've recorded a few ideas that will be the seeds of the next album but I'm waiting on a new computer before fully diving into it. With the momentum and trajectory on this release, it would be amazing to have another album out by next year but time will tell.



2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

2. Ecstasy/Agony takes the sound that was developing gradually through Vast and Drowned in Embers and finally throws the switch all the way to metal. There's more blast beats, the additional of harsh vocals, faster tempos, more focus on tight and interesting sounding riffs than the more ambient, chordal focus of the early albums.


3.This is also your first release in 6 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time frame?

3. In 2016 I graduated college and found The Canyon on an old hard drive, then polished it up and got it released. After that point, life got busy: new jobs, moving to Chicago, getting engaged and married, buying a house, all that stuff. I did actually write another album in that time, but the lyrics and themes are so intensely personal, even more so than Ecstasy/Agony so I decided to shelve that one for the future, when I can do it full justice.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored over the years with your music?

4. Since Ecstasy/Agony is the first release with vocals, it lays out the main themes behind most of my song writing - the enchantment of nature and space, coming to terms with trauma and mental illness, the philosophy of asking "What is the Self? Is it set or changeable?"


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nirensimt'?

5. The name Nirensimt comes from a mystic experience with past life regression. It is meant to be a word in a form of elvish meaning "One who looks at the stars too much".


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


6. The artwork is really neat and I put that together myself so I'm glad you asked. There's a lot going on, but I wanted to capture the feeling of magik, of cosmic. The various parts are all free-to-use stock images and it was exciting to take these disparite pieces and make them look like a cohesive image. Another fun aspect is the sigil at the top is actually a public domain gender inclusion sigil (modified slightly), which hints at that as a theme in some of the songs, especially Earth Reclaims the Stone.


7.The band started out as a solo project but over the years have evolved into a duo, what was the decision behind adding in a newer music?

7. Nirensimt started as me (Peder) just in my basement as a natural expression of my musical energies. While I'm competent at many instruments, bass was never one of my strong suits so I wanted to bring someone in who could lay down good bass parts. I've worked with Eric for a long time, all the way back to high school jazz band so it was a natural fit. Since he doesn't come from a strictly metal background, I find that he approaches everything melodically and harmonically first which adds a depth to the sound not usually found in other black metal projects and besides that he's one of the most skilled improvisers I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. Moving forward and wanting to keep that tight sound while improving how we write and work together, it just made sense to include him as a full member moving forward.


8.Currently the band is unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

8. We have not been approached by a label nor are we seeking one out. If it happens, great, but there are certain advantages to being independent that we quite like.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of post and atmospheric black metal?


9. What I have heard so far has been generally positive but if I'm honest, yours is the first actual review I've seen.


10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

10. As Nirensimt continues, I would expect more grandiose compositions, long songs, and blast beats. I want to get more technical in my lead writing, but I don't want to bury the atmospheric roots either.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

11. Honestly, I try to fold a bit of everything into my writing. Bands like Wormwitch, Uada, and Bull of Apis Bull of Bronze were a huge influence on the way Ecstasy/Agony turned out, but you can hear bits of Ulcerate and Obsequae too. Sigur Rós was what started my musical journey and I like to think their influence can still be found in here too.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

12. Thank you so much for the opportunity, love and light 

No comments:

Post a Comment