Friday, May 27, 2022

Terragon Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


I started thinking about it in 1996, that's when composition in the Atmospheric Black style.

At that time I composed everything on the keyboard at first and then I added the guitars. A demo was born in 1998 with 6 tracks, but without vocals.

It was in 2004 that I really got serious about composing with Chapter I, for which the composition was done on the same pattern, first the keyboard, drums... then the guitars... And a big sleep phase until 2019


2.In April you had released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


Totally different ! I focused first on the guitars! and then I put on the keyboards!! But the keyboard is very little present, except on the orchestral parts. Technology has also evolved a lot, everything has been done by computer. the concept is also very different


3.This is also your first release in 18 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time frame?


That period wore me out… at that time. I played in two bands, "Spectrums Of Oblivion" as guitar/vocals and in “Ancêtres” as guitarist.

Between the rehearsals every week, the concerts sometimes... a brief passage in a third band but that I don't talk about, bad memory... At the same time, I had an association (Metal C.H.A.O.S.) with a member of Spectrums Of Oblivion. We organized concerts, co-productions, we did a webzine and a fanzine which lasted a year.

So in 2007 I stopped everything…. It took five years... Five very intense years because I also worked at night in my personal life! It was crazy…



4.The lyrics on the new album are based upon the writings and poetry of ;Charles Bauldelaire, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his works?


It's a bit thanks to “Ancêtres”. When I discovered this Band in 2002!! the first title was an intro on the music of Prokofiev "Romeo and juliette"! the lyrics were "Au Lecteur". I loved the interpretation... . I wanted to pay tribute with this title and do it my way

, and then…. I told myself ! Wouldn't it hurt to do more!! Rotting Christ had taken over "Les Litanies de Satan".....and that's how I continued...He had an amazing life!! the trial of "Les Fleurs du mal", his life of debauchery… his excesses…. His work…



5.A lot of your earlier lyrics also covered satanic, occult and anti Christianity themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?


Yes… religion is really a scourge… A deep hatred against all these doctrines… a small dedication also to Anne Rice with Vampire


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Terragon'?


I was looking for a name… I opened a book and I came across it! It is especially the pronunciation that I like to hear! because you have to read it with an E at the end!! Terragone (in French). For the meaning, it is a protective demon of sorcerers and diviner! it was especially the sound of the name that I liked


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The drawing was made by my tattoo artist! the representation of time.. of death… of his addiction to morphine with the chemical symbol.. and of course his portrait!! I am very satisfied with his work



8.With this project you record everything by yourself but have had experience working with bands in the past, do you prefer to work solo?


I was a little lost with the new technology, I had a lot of advice from my friend Nercron from Gergovia.. Especially on mixing and mastering…. As explained above, yes I have a good experience of working in a group! they are two different approaches… I like both… Now I couldn't do what I was doing again… lack of time!! But the desire to play with someone again… why not….


9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


At the time I had released it under Metal C.H.A.O.S) I had been able to do a big promotion… For this new album, I will release it in co Prod on the Acid Vicious label… it should be released in June



10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I had good reviews...no memories or very negative ones...for Chapter I I really did a big promo, I sent them everywhere!! but today it's a little different, a lot by social networks... to see how it will be done! … I sent by bad mail as I did with you !! and returns are very rare...


11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I have almost finished all the compositions for the next one! Everything will be about Tolkien's universe, there is a lot of song in his writings, which can be found in the lord of the rings... I'm a big fan of his stories. And this time, the song will be in English because I want to keep the original meaning of the text.



12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I listen to a lot of film music… including all of Howard Shore's work for what he did for the Peter Jackson films. Also Tyler Bates for the music of John Wick. Classical music … like Prokofiev Particularly … but many others.

The music of Chaostar with Christos Antoniou…. Dead can Dance for this atmosphere… Dargaard which rests and transports me when I read…

But of course !! Black Metal nevertheless remains my main listening. With Blut Aus Nord, which remains for me the most successful…

Burzum.. Behemoth… Mayhem… Marduk.. Immortal.. Aeternus…. many many more



13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 


Thank you for your attention ! long life for your work..

No comments:

Post a Comment