Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Winds Of Tragedy Interview

 

Name: Sergio González Catalán

Band: Winds of Tragedy


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Winds of Tragedy is a Black/Doom Metal project from a place that fells like the end of the world, Santiago, Chile. I created this project because I was looking to develop fast furious music to express all the anger with life that I had inside. Also, I had a lot of ideas and themes that did not quite fit into my other projects, so I needed to start fresh with this band.


2.In June you have your first full length coming out, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


I wanted to do an album that was fierce, aggressive, and filled of blast beats from beginning to end, because I’ve become sort of addicted to them. I contacted a drummer, Alex Ramios, to get the proper sound and aggressiveness I needed. After recording the drums, I worked an incredible amount of time with my producer, Filippos Koliopanos, on getting the right sound and mix for the blast beats. 


Regarding the songs, to be honest, I can’t work with dissonant compositions or progressive-styled melodies, because they give me a headache after a while, LOL, so you will hear melodic parts and delicate interludes throughout the album. I really like that contrast between the harshness of the vocals and the melodic parts of the lead guitar and synths, and you will notice that in the album.



3.You are also a part of 'Rise To the Sky', how does the music of 'Winds Of Tragedy' differ from the material you record with your other project?


Rise to the Sky is a slower type of music, very close to funeral doom metal, although again I cannot go full dissonant because I just dislike that type of sound. Also, thematically, Rise to the Sky is almost solely focused on sadness and grief, it´s much more of a melancholic and beauty focused type of project. Winds of Tragedy just reflects a different state of mind and atmosphere, it is completely honest music, much rawer, explosive, and angrier. 


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


When it comes to the lyrics, I did not hide anything, however personal or embarrassing it was, I just expressed what I was living at that moment. In my music, I always discuss themes related to depression, loss, and grief, which are topics that are so common to everyone. A lot of people, which have similar problems, reach out to me constantly, to tell me how much my music relates to them and helps them go through their own problems, depression, or grief. This is something that interest me more than anything else. To be able to have this sort of connection its really indescribable, and I feel that it gives my life and my music some sort of purpose. 



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Winds Of Tragedy'?


It’s all about tragedy and ruin, it arrives in your life like the wind, suddenly and unexpectedly, and I truly believe that is inevitable. Most people will suffer from a loss of a loved one at some point in their lifetime, they will suffer from a breakup, they will lose a friend, etc. this is just part of life.  My music talks about this, because it is important to talk about that, we need to know how to live with this constant suffering. 



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


I am constantly looking for artwork online. Through my music, I’ve had the honor to work with such great talent from all over the world, people like Gogo Melone, Augusto Peixoto from Irondoom Design, or Lenore Ani from AniArtworks. When I saw the artwork of Sean Deloria Black Wolf, aka DaturaAD, I just feel in love with his work. This is an immensely gifted self-taught painter, which I can tell is obsessed with his craft, just like I am obsessed with music. I saw the painting and just fell in love with it. The color pallet is something I had never seen before, so bright, but at the same time it´s such a sad and dark figure, it just fitted perfectly with the style of music I was doing. Also, it doesn’t fit any metal mold, I refuse to follow any particular style or trend when it comes to making an album, I just go on whatever direction seems best for the project, not the style. 


7.With both of your projects you work mostly solo, are you open to working with a line up in the future?


I started solo; I work mostly solo when it comes to composing. But since the beginning I’ve had collaboration and feedback from my producer, Filippos Koliopanos, who is also a musician. Recently I worked with Alex Ramos, who has done an incredible work with the drums in Winds of Tragedy and Rise to the Sky. I have many collaborations that are coming up in the future, hopefully I can share those announcements soon.  


Working with a line up would be the natural flow of things in the future, but I am not rushing anything. So far, I have plenty of material and ideas and I feel glad about the collaborations I am already developing. 


8.The new album is going to be released on 'Belfry Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


Belfry records is a new label from Terrassa, Spain. The label is focused on atmospheric metal, whether it be black, doom, or death metal. They made a big splash and are signing a bunch of awesome bands. I think most people know that the underground scene is going through tough times, and labels are struggling to survive. Having Belfry records come into the scene and start promoting a bunch of new underground bands is just something I respect, and I think that it will be valued by many listeners of the dark metal arts. 


For me, it’s an honor to be part of their roster of artists, and to have the first CD ever released by this label. I really look forward to developing great new music and ideas with them, so far, it’s been awesome.



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric black and doom metal?


It just keeps getting better with every release I have. I have listeners from all over the world and I am shipping CDs everywhere. It’s just fantastic to know that there is a large black/doom metal community out there which is still supporting the underground. I look forward to reaching out to new people, and I am always open to discuss about music and to dedicate some time to support the scene. Because of music, I’ve met great people who share my passion for this music, and I now have many friends to visit all over the world.


10.What is going on with 'Rise To The Sky' these days?


Rise to the Sky just released its fifth length album “Every Day, a Funeral” on May 6,2022 though Meuse Music Records. It’s a project which is very active and for which I keep writing music constantly. New stuff is coming up sooner than you think, and as always, I am looking to go one step further in quality and impact with this music.  


11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


My constant effort goes to composing the best possible music I can. I want to develop much further as a composer and make raw honest atmospheric black and doom metal which creates an impact on people. I am constantly working and trying to learn and improve. It takes a lot of effort in every way though, emotionally, timewise, and financially too, but I don’t care, because I really believe that this is one of my main purposes in this world. Making this music is one of the most important things I’ve ever done.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


There are many bands and also musical styles, just to name a few black metal ones I currently listen to: Lascar, Grief and Bliss, Pure Wrath, Akhlys, White Ward, and Drudkh. Doom metal ones would be Shape of Despair, My Dying Bride, Celestial Season, Type o Negative and Before the Rain.


Also, I take a lot of ideas from classical music composers like Bach, Verdi, and Wagner, which I studied when I was a kid, or from operas I constantly watch. For instance, the Ring Cycle from Wagner is a monumental work of art, lot of my brass orchestral ideas and lyrical themes come from watching those operas.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 


I would just like to thank you for the opportunity to talk anout my music and for your interest in my music. I want to invite everyone to listen to “As Life Drifts Away” on June 17th when it comes out and please reach out to me through my socials if you want to talk about music or just say hi. I am always available to talk to anyone who shares this passion for atmo black/doom with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment