Monday, May 29, 2023

Alghol Interview

 


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording of the new album?


 1. Since I finished recording "Night Eternal", I've basically just been focused on getting everything ready for the release. This is the first time I've done a proper release without working with a label, so there are a lot of moving parts. It's a bunch of fun though and I've got some good friends who know what they're doing that are helping me out. It's not going to be entirely self-released though. Black Occult is going to be doing the vinyl release again, but everything else will be self-released. I've also started writing for the album after "Night Eternal", but that is still in the very early stages.



2.You have a new album coming out in July, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


2. I think the new album builds on what I've done previously. My goal with every release is to out-do the release before it and to continue progressing, and I think I pulled it off on this new album. The riffs are better, the synths are catchier, the production is a little bit cleaner. Overall, it just feels like a step up from my last album. 


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subject you explore with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?


3. "Night Eternal" is the sequel to my last album, "The Osseous Key". They're both technically "concept albums", but I don't really like that term. It feels a bit pretentious haha. But both albums are 100% story based, with the newer one continuing the story where "The Osseous Key" left off. "Night Eternal" is actually going to be part 2 of a trilogy of albums, with the 3rd album finishing this storyline. I've always been really inspired by King Diamond and Ghoul and the storytelling and world building that they do, and I try to emulate that in my own way. Over the years, I think I've just managed to kind of refine my process a bit. I never wrote short stories or anything like that, so all this is pretty new to me. There's still a lot I'm figuring out as far as songwriting goes from both a musical and lyrical standpoint, but I hope to improve a little bit with each release.





4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Alghol'?



4. Algol is actually the name of a star, also known as "The Demon Star". I first came across the name in a Lovecraft story. I think it was "Beyond the Wall of Sleep". At the time I was looking for names for my project, and I thought that was a super cool band name. I did a quick google search and found a few other bands called "Algol" so I figured I'd toss a silent "h" in the middle and go on my way haha. But "Alghol" is absolutely a reference to The Demon Star, which is also a prominent character in the world I'm attempting to build, and the stories I'm attempting to tell haha.



5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


5. So for all of my art needs, I work with my good friend Logan Hamilton who is just insanely talented and I think does an amazing job creating art that fits well together with the music. As far as I’m concerned, he is the visual aspect of Alghol and I plan on working with him exclusively going forward. For this piece, and for everything else we do, I typically send him all the music and lyrics, as well as any vague ideas I might have for the piece and just let him run with it. He’ll send me a few sketch ideas to choose from, and then build on the idea that I pick. We usually wind up having a few beers on FaceTime/Zoom and nailing down the finer details as well, but I don’t overly involve myself because his vision for a piece always winds up much better than anything I ever could have thought of haha. With the cover art for “Night Eternal”, he really went above and beyond, creating a piece that I think compliments the music and themes of the album perfectly. I really couldn’t be more pleased with the final product.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, do you have any experience playing with musicians in other bands or projects?


6. Not really. I had some friends I used to jam with back in high school, but we never took it very seriously. I'm also a control freak when it comes to the music I write. In a band setting, I think I would either need to have complete and total creative control, or just be a hired gun, there to help bring someone else's vision to life. I think a lot of cool stuff can come from musical collaboration, but for this project, I like doing everything myself.


7.In 20220 you where a part of a split with 'Panzerwar', what are your thoughts on the other project that had participated on the recording?


7. Panzerwar was great. We had a blast putting that split together, and everything just came together very naturally. But he kind of dropped off the face of the earth a couple years back and I haven’t heard from him since.


8.You have worked with 'Geistrum Records' and 'Black Occult' on the physical versions of your previous full length, are you open to working with any other label again in the future?


8. Yeah absolutely. I love working with those guys and they're both good friends of mine. Like I mentioned earlier, Black Occult will be releasing the vinyl version of “Night Eternal”, and my buddy Adam, who runs Geistraum, is actually helping me get the tapes and CDs made up. I would definitely be open to working with other labels in the future, but it all depends on the label and what they can bring to the table. In the meantime though, I figure if I can do something myself, I might as well.



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


9. I’m not entirely sure to be honest haha. I’ve definitely made a lot of friends from all over the world through this music and the Black Metal “scene” on instagram. In the grand scheme of things though, this project is tiny so its kind of hard to gauge something like that. It seems like most of the reactions to my stuff has been positive, but I’m sure theres also people out there who think it sucks haha.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


10. I’m just planning on continuing to make the music I want to make, and hopefully continuing to improve along the way. I don’t really have any sort of goals set in stone. I just do this because I love it and will continue to do so as long as that love is still there. 


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that you are currently listening to nowadays?


11. I’ve been listening to a ton of Reggae lately. Especially the classic stuff that came out of Studio One in the 60s and 70s. I’ve also been really into this Finnish thrash band Stone, which was the band Roope Latvala was in before he joined Children of Bodom. It’s just fucking great beer drinking music. And speaking of great beer drinking music, I pretty much always have some Motorhead and King Diamond in the rotation as well. I like Power Metal stuff too. Sacred Outcry just put out an insane album. I tend to listen to more Black Metal in the winter, but I’m pretty much always up for a bit of Dissection or Immortal. I try to keep an eye on the bandcamp Black Metal charts too to see what new stuff is coming out.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



12. Man, I’m just happy to be here doing this interview! Thanks for the opportunity! As for final thoughts, I guess I just hope everyone who takes the time to check out the new album enjoys it as much as I do. Crack a cold one, sit back, and enjoy the ride! 



 https://linktr.ee/alghol

No comments:

Post a Comment