Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Iselder Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording of the new album?


Since the recording of the new album I've been working on more music for Iselder, as well as music for other projects I'm involved in. These projects are called Lladd and Cwlt Draig. Lladd is a more traditional sounding black metal project when compared to Iselder, whilst Cwlt Draig is a whole other beast. Though raw black metal in nature, the design of this project lends itself to the abstract & avant-garde.


2.In April you have a new album coming out, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


Musically and lyrically it continues on from the same path that the two EPs I released in 2021 does ("Welsh Nationalist Black Metal" and "Fe Godwn Ni Eto"), which differ greatly from the debut album "Dechrau". I suppose this is mostly due to my taste in music changing a lot in the four years between the two albums. "Metel Du Gwir Cymreig" takes a more straightforward and "in your face" approach when compared to my earlier works. I also focus a lot more on Welsh nationalism now, which covers the heritage, history, culture and folklore of my homeland.


3.You were also recently arrested and the album release was delayed because of it, can you tell us a little bit more about the cause of the arrest and the impact that it has had on your life and also your musical work?


I was arrested in part due to referencing a (now defunct) Welsh extremist group called Meibion Glyndwr, which were responsible for the burning of over 200 English owned holidays homes in Wales during 80's. That on top of making a parody t-shirt featuring the quote "Burn Your Local Holiday Home" next to an image of a burning cottage didn't exactly paint me in the best of lights. I also suppose writing a song about them (Llosgi Bwriadol) didn't help matters much either. It had a very big impact on my life and my musical work, as my computer was seized so I had no means to record or write anything in the manner I usually do. At one point I was even scared to listen to the album, as it had become almost tainted in my eyes. It took me months until I could listen to it all again. Fortunately though, all charges have been dropped and I'm now able to finally release this album to the world.


4.With your lyrics you use Welsh titles and also cover the history, nationalism and heritage of your own culture, can you tell us a little bit more about what these mean to your and your viewpoints on the world?


Being Welsh means a lot to me. Whilst most find it strange to find pride in where you're born, it's almost a miracle that my country has survived. From wars, to idiotic policies condeming my native language, the resilience of the Welsh people can't be understated. I'd one day like to see Wales become independent from the United Kingdom, as well as a growth of the mother tongue.


5.Does the Paganism of the ancient Welsh people also play any role in your music or life?


It sadly doesn't, and this is mostly my own fault as I'm rather inexperienced on the subject. When I know more about it there's no doubt in my mind that it will play a part in my music, and possibly my life.


6.I have seen posts and comments on facebook and other social media's having a huge misunderstanding of the nationalism themes in your music, do you feel that the politically correct messages that have been added to modern black metal has hurt the genre in a lot of ways and also taking away from the original meaning of the genre?


I think it's mostly down to the word "nationalism" attacting a certain type of crowd, but fortunately in Wales that type of crowd is almost non-existant. When "Welsh Nationalist Black Metal" was released, it was met with criticism from both sides. On one hand I had people calling me a nazi for referring to myself and my music as nationalist, and on the other hand I was blacklisted and called a traitor to the black metal scene for including a quote on cassette inlay that reads "Being Welsh means belonging, feeling that we belong, whatever our language, colour or religion." I just can't seem to win, so why bother pleasing either side instead of sticking to my roots and just creating what I want.


7.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Iselder'?


Iselder basically means depression. When the idea to start Iselder was first formed in 2014, the band was mostly going to be inspired by bands such as Thy Light, Xasthur, Woods of Desolation, stuff like that. As I started writing music more and more we ended up with what you hear on the debut EP "Oer", which then culminated in the first LP "Dechrau", both of which show small influences from the previously mentioned bands, but shy away from it for a much more traditional sound.


8.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The artwork features Owain Glyndwr, the last native Prince of Wales. Once referred to as Y Mab Darogan (meaning "The Destined/Prophesied Son" or "Son of Destiny"), he rebelled against the English invaders and hoped for a Welsh future. Sadly, he was ultimately defeated, and thus disappeared. He is seen as a symbol of Welsh independence, and is widely celebrated in nationalist circles.


9.I know that the name 'Gofid' also means sorrow, what was it about this name that drawn you to use it for your works as a musician?


This would relate to the fact that Iselder meant depression, so I saw it fitting for my own name to be something related to that. The lyrics themes for Iselder at first were very self-destructive, talking about suicide and self harm, as well as my own death. I was in a very dark place when I started this band, which would later be reflected in the instrumental EP "Gwaglewch", which was created during a very particular dark episode.


10.With this project you record everything by yourself but have worked with a full band in the past, do you feel you have a lot more fredom working solo?


If you're referring to my work with Atra Mors, the interaction with other members was very minimal. I received the tracks to write lyrics and records vocals to, sent them off to the other members and that was it. I'm very, very proud of how that album turned out though. There's a lot of freedom when working solo, but you also turn into your own worst critic. Being alone in this band has made me somewhat of a perfectionist, where something I write I could love today, but tomorrow I'll hate it and never want to touch it ever again. Perhaps one day I'll form a touring line-up for Iselder, and maybe one day other members will have an input on the writing process, but for now the band will remain as just me. Perhaps this is for the best, who knows?


11.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your newer music by fans of black metal?


Aside from accusations of being a traitor to black metal and a nazi, the reaction to the music has been mostly positive. I think people like the punkier side of  it, and like the "fuck you" essence that it portrays in certain songs. Hopefully these positive reactions extend to the newest release, as it's something I worked very hard on.


12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I see myself working on Iselder for a long time to come yet. I'm already working on the follow up to the new album, as well as the other projects I've mentioned. Hopefully I'm able to gather like minded musicians to take Iselder to a live setting, as this is the main goal for me at this moment in time.


13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that you are listening to nowadays?


It's funny, during the creation of the two EPs from 2021 and this album, I actually listened to very little black metal. Instead I opted for bands like Acid Bath, Crowbar, and Eyehategod. I also enjoyed acts such as Mogwai, Elliott Smith, and Bjork! Whilst they may not influence Iselder as such, they certainly open my mind to new ways of making music. As for black metal, I enjoy bands such as Riivaus, Warmoon Lord, Evilfeast, and Lamp of Murmurr.


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


I'd like to just give a big thank you to everyone who supported me during the whole police debacle, and I promise that I will repay you all one day. I do have something in mind, but this requires a lot of planning and I hope one day it comes into fruition.


No comments:

Post a Comment