Monday, November 29, 2010

Bane Interview


1. What is going on with Bane these days?


I am currently writing new material, although it`s going pretty slow at the moment. I have no intentions to rush anything, since I am pretty satisfied with the final result of our current release "Chaos, Darkness & Emptiness". There is still lots of work to be done with the promotion for that album. I am expecting more reviews, as well as live concerts in the following months.


So far we have promoted the album live in several European countries (Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Serbia...), and are preparing another European Tour for March 2011. All details & confirmations will soon be announced on our official MySpace page.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album, and how much do you feel you progressed over the years?


Our new album is pretty much based on Swedish Styled Black Metal from the mid 90`s, but with very strong Death Metal influences, and even Doom Metal elements. We also have ambient passages going in between the songs, since the album is done as a concept and everything is linked - everything has it`s own purpose. We really try to combine all essential things and put it all together in one package - it`s fast, brutal & aggressive, yet it`s melodic and pretty much easy to follow.


The progress of this band was without any doubt huge, considering that we have been a live and active band since early 2010, with a full line-up. So far we had shows all over Europe, and in 2010 released an EP, and after that a full-length album on several different labels & formats. Musically and production-wise we made a huge progress and added many other elements in our music which was not the case earlier, and can easily be heard when comparing previous releases to our new album.


3. Your new album has an interesting concept in the lyrics, what are some of the things that inspired you when writing the lyrics?


Glad you think that way. Basically, everyday life experiences and the stupidity, selfishness & abhorrence of mankind inspire me lyrically.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Bane?


As described in Wikipedia: Bane is a Modern English word meaning "that which causes ruin or woe". Although the word "Bane" was used in many different variations, which most of them are very interesting, and none of them are positive.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far, and how would you describe your stage performance?


It`s very hard to pick shows apart from others, as they are all important and in each and every one of them the band gives 666%. But some of the "best" would be say in the Capital of Slovenia when we played as support band to James Rivera (USA), in Czech Republic on the Volyne Metalfest when sharing the stage with Root (CZ), and maybe on Adrenalin Fest Open-Air in Becej, Serbia.


Our stage performance is simply a ritual of the band that makes us complete in order to represent what we stand for. It allows us to truly express the point of our music.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the new album?


As previously mentioned, yes - we should have a 2-week European Tour in March 2011. After that we will be playing a few summer festivals if everything goes well, and then we will see if it will be possible to hit the road again in Autumn...

7. How have black/death metal fans worldwide react to your musical sound?


Judging by the reviews I have read so far, the support given from our record labels and the amount of e-mails/messages sent to me from various people all over the globe, I can say that the majority really enjoyed the new material. I guess it`s interesting for people to hear this kind of genre & production coming from the Balkans, as it`s definitely something that can hardly be seen or heard in this corner of Europe. Hopefully we will be able to put the word "out there" even more in the future...

8. What direction would you like to take the band into on future releases?


It`s hard to tell at this time, since there are so many influences and good bands everywhere. But it would definitely be a very strong and if possible unique mixture of Death, Black & Doom Metal music. I will try to push the limits higher on each following releases, but not in a superficial way. The band will continue to develop in natural ways, as we are not in any kind of competition of some sort. It`s just something that matter to me, and to us. If someone likes it - fine, if not - I don`t care, really.

9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


The three (3) main bands that had the biggest influence on me and my music are without any doubt Dissection, Dark Funeral & Saturnus. There are also many Death Metal bands I really like, listen & enjoy, but I just can`t express them all in Bane. That`s why I have other Death Metal & Grindcore projects where I intend to make more "brutal" stuff.


Nowadays I am listening to all sorts of different bands & musical styles. I have a very wide range of music I listen to. But in the last weeks or so I can`t stop listening to Anachroneaon - one of the most original and unique Metal bands I have heard over the years. They come from Sweden, so you should definitely check them out. Also a phenomenal young band you should check out is Sanhedrin. They just released their first full-length album, and it`s possibly the best stuff I have heard coming from the UK. And I just received the first album from a Russian band called Odem. That stuff is simply both insane and amazing - definitely worth your time & money.


I could go on and on with this, there are just too many bands nowadays, can`t keep up with them all...

10. What role does Satanism or Occultism play in your music, and how would you describe your views on these topics?


My views about these topics are quite personal, so I don`t really combine them with my music, although it is at some times inevitable. Satanism and Occultism are nowadays very often only a theme for kids who are into "Black Metal", and using it to be "true" to other people, not really knowing the true meaning behind those words...so that`s mainly why I try not to write too much about them, although as I just said - they are indeed a part of me. They represent my beliefs that inflict on me as a human being, but it`s very personal and I don`t really share my visions and thoughts about those things to the public, sorry.

11. Outside of music, what are some of your interests?

To be honest, nothing much. Apart from keeping a simple lifestyle with my beloveth and listening/writing music, I really don`t have any other types of hobbies. I don`t play sports, don`t play video games, don`t drink alcohol, don`t do drugs, don`t really hang out with people in general. I have a few close ones that I sometimes share time with, and that`s it.


12. Any final words or thoughts before we close this interview?


Huge thanks for the true support, it really means a lot. Thanks to all the people who took their time to read this, keep the underground alive! Support your local bands, don`t stop buying printed fanzines and keep on buying/trading original CD`s, MC`s & vinyl!


For more info & updates concerning Bane visit: http://www.myspace.com/baneband,
And for direct contact & booking, write to: banedeathmetal@gmail.com


Let Thy Chaos Forever Reign Upon Us...




-Branislav/BANE

1 comment:

  1. Nice interview!

    Thanks for the namedropping Branislav and good luck with Bane!

    ReplyDelete