Gorthaur's Wrath was formed back in 1998 by Myself and three other members from various Croatian black metal bands that existed at that time.
Since then we recorded 3 demos, one video, toured through Croatia, Slovenia, Italy and Bosnia, changed more than a few band members with me as the only
remaining original member.
Now, after 5 years spent in the studio and having assembled a new line up, our first album - "Ritual IV" will finally be released during the next few months.
Also our new promo cd, consisting of two new songs - "Devil speaks" and "One with us" - is already available .That's the one that you're reviewing.
2. I know that you got the band name from Tolkien novel, what was it that interested you about the name?
Well, at the time when I formed the band, I was 17 yeas old and I was reading a lot of fantasy books, among them also Tolkien's material.
So i took the old name of Sauron from the ancient times - "Gorthaur".
The original idea was to name the band Satan's Wrath, but I considered that to be too direct and as Tolkiens books were full of metaphores and
Gorthaur being the mataphor for the biblical Devil, the choice was made.
So we became Gorthaur's Wrath.
3. I noticed when I listened to your old material it was in the raw black metal vein of the 90's what was it that made you decide to change your style to the way it is now?
Yes, that's true.
Well, at the time when we started with the band, the idea was to create a raw and primitive black metal sound that inspired us in the first place to listen to black metal. In the first demo we did exactly that, but already on the second one you can hear more death metal influence's and later on we continued to develop even more towards a more experimental sound that we're still searching for today.
As the time went by and band members changed, different ideas and visions of the band sound evolved.
So today you could say that we play extreme metal in general, with lots of different influences because we try to make the music that we would like to hear ourselves. We are also inspired by a lot of different music styles, so that can also be heard in our present songs.
4. What are some of the best shows that you have played so far and how would you describe your live performance?
Our best shows so far would definetly be:
- Our first appereance on the "Storm of hate festival 2001" in our Country's main city Zagreb where we also recorded our first video for the song "Shadow Mirrors" .
- Our first apperance in Sarajevo 2005 (Bosnia and Hercegovina) was also great a show
- Definetly our last show which we did in Zagreb again, a month ago.
Our concerts could be described as huge releases of unrestrained energy from both sides, our fans' and ours.
5. Are you searching for a record label, is so, what kind of label are you looking for?
We are in the process of negotiating with a few labels at the moment and we will soon acknowladge which is the one we decided to work with.
The only important thing for us is for the label to promote us as much as possible and give us maximum support.
Everything else is up to us.
6.What are some of the bands that inspired you to become a musician?
There are many, too much to mention.
But in the beginnings those where W.A.S.P., AC/DC, MAYHEM and many,many more.
7. What are you listening to nowadays?
Almost everything. For me, there are only two different music types: those I appreciate and those I don't - which are as good as nonexistent as far as I'm concerned.
I listen mostly to Marilyn Manson nowadays. I consider Manson to be the only band that still plays and didn't made a single bad or boring song. And that is really something that you should admire, at least if you ask me from a band's point of view.
I can always listen to old black metal albums of course. I'll just mention Dissection, Behemoth and Samael as few of the best.
There are very few new metal bands and bands in general that I can listen to nowadays. The scene has become too crowded with boring and unoriginal bands.
8. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?
My own personal philosophy, life experiences and occult researches. If you read the lyrics, you will be able to find more details there yourself.
It is my mind and soul in words.
9. Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in the music?
Plays a main and most important role. The band evolved into a powerful force that could be described as an opened portal for the greater dieties.
In the beginning we were just another band, but years of hard work and sacrifice made us into who and what we are today.
Greater knowledge, wisdom and strength. And we are on our way straight to the top.
10. What are some of the interests that you have outside of music?
Most of the time when we don't record or play, i spend my time reading, watching movies or documentaries and doing martial arts or gym.
11. How would you describe the extreme metal scene in Croatia?
The extreme scene in Croatia is very weak, except for a few bands. Weaker than it should be and than it once was. But i guess only the strongest survive.
12. Any final words or thoughts of destruction?
Thank you for your time spent with our band. Stay strong and support the underground because that's where we all come from!