Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Requiem's Sathana Interview


1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

This is a relatively new project. For a long time I was looking forward to starting a project with a slightly different approach. So around 2015, when I was still playing in a traditional heavy metal band, I started working with Requiem’s Sathana. I actually had some songs ready since 2010, but I never continued with them. In 2017 I contacted Rex Inferii and Rex Gutture, to see if they were interested in participating in the project. The main idea around this project is to make black metal, but exploring all the possibilities that heavy metal offers us as music. Thus, we assume ourselves as "experimental". All in the project are experienced musicians, with over twenty years in the metal scene. In this way, we have a relatively large bag of influences. Requiem’s Sathana is the ideal project to put ideas into practice that would not fit in other bands or projects.

2. So far you have released one album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

As I said in the previous question, we are basically black metal. But that doesn't stop other people from labeling us differently, or in one of those infinite substyles. We definitely don't care about that. We play black metal! But on the other hand, I also believe that we are more than that. What is clearly stated in our music. You will notice influences mainly from death and doom metal. And when we say that we have a lot of progressive influence, it is much more about a form of feeling than a technique. This means: no Dream Theater or anything like that. Our progressive side refers to the dark and mysterious side of sounds like what Dead Can Dance or Kraftwerk does.

3. Some of your lyrics cover occult topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in those topics?

I believe it comes from my family heritage. I am a descendant of Germans who are strongly Catholic on the paternal side and Lutheran fanatics on the maternal side. So I grew up in a very aggressive Christian environment. Since I was little I was fascinated by that mystical aura, the “mysteries”, which was hidden behind the veil of religiosity. And I don't mean Christian dogma itself. I always felt that there was something beyond any religious denomination. I was simply fascinated when I went to burials, or just to a cemetery. I was amazed at what they taught us about hell, death, sins. I wanted to understand and subconsciously, to experience! But the most contradictory thing is that even though my family is strongly Christian, they believed (and still believe) in many things that can be characterized as pagans. That is, almost all of them believed in evil eye, witchcraft, plagues, spells, or as they say in Brazil, saravá! And when I became a teenager, I wanted to go further! That was when I became interested in the truly hidden and dark side of the mysteries. It was then that I learned that I had a great-great-grandfather who was what we might call a healer. Years later, when I joined the University in the History course, I researched it and cataloged many of its “cures”. And just as he walked on the right side, he also walked on the left. And the great legend is that he brought a magic book from Europe, with which he practiced his healings. I could write a lot of pages talking about it. It is fascinating!

4. What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?

If I am not dealing with the occult, I very much like to approach what I call “black philosophy”. That is, less the desire to understand yourself or the world, but to assume who you really are and how the world works. I also like to work with nihilistic lyrics, with which I don't care at all to try to give any meaning, but simply to let all hate, frustration, resentment, repression, desires flow. I really like this type of letter approach, because it gives that minimalist and chaotic feeling. Mordgier is a good example of what I am trying to say.

5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Requiem's Sathana'?

When I created the project, I needed a name that reflected exactly what our songs are. Thus, requiem is an important part of the Catholic church's missal. Thus, there is nothing more natural than letting this requiem be led by the greatest opponent of this infamous institution. Some bands practice satanic masses. We practice satanic requiems! All the lyrics express what we are, nothing! Thus, our songs are purely and simply an ode to nothing, to vacuum, to self-destruction, to self-harm. All of our songs are satanic masses, satanic requiems! As I wrote in Legion: "Repentance as a vain hope, does not save those who are already dead"! We just make songs for the dead!

6. Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?

The art was created by Doomed Art from the city of São Paulo/Brazil. I told him that I wanted an “old school” art. Simple, but at the same time efficient in transmitting to the listener our message of death and despair. And I like this black and white aesthetic! Of course, this cover is also a little misleading, as it refers much more to those old school black metal bands. Anyway, I really liked the result. And that skeleton trying to get up sometimes reminds me of Eddie from Iron Maiden kkkkkkkkkk.

7. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Requiem’s Sathana has never played live. This project was not created for live performances. However, in the future I plan to do a few live performances to promote the project.

8. Currently  the band is signed to 'Cianeto Discos', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Cianeto Discos is a Brazilian label from the state of Rio Grande do Sul. My contact with Cianeto was through our guitarist Rex Inferii, who had an album from his other band released by this label. In particular, it has been an extraordinary experience to work with Gil Dessoy, owner of Cianeto. This for several reasons, such as his honesty and openness. For his commitment to launch a quality product and, most importantly, his priority to work with bands totally underground. Another characteristic of this label is the launch of titles with low runs. Usually releases are 300 to 500 copies. This makes the job much more viable! And according to demand, it is possible to make more copies.

9. On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black and underground metal?

Very good! I thought that maybe there would be some resistance due to our experimentalism. But not! Quite the opposite. All the reviews have been favorable! In fact, the biggest comments refer to the fact that people expect to hear a type of music and come across something completely unexpected. I mean, we play black metal, but we give a lot more to the listeners!

10. What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?

Well, I'm currently only involved with the Requiem’s Sathana project. Rex Gutture is the lead singer of the death/splatter band Bloodwork, which will soon be releasing new material. Rex Inferii, in turn, is the man of the thousand bands. He is a drummer for Bloodwork and In Torment, and guitarist for the death metal band Dyingbreed, whose last release was Under a Black Sun in 2018. In addition, he plays bass on Finally Doomsday and guitar on Hopeless at God. At the moment everything is stopped due to the pandemic.

11. Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Always evolving in every way. We will always maintain our integrity by practicing the most honest extreme music, but at the same time always allowing us to experiment with melodies, times, riffs, daring lyrical approaches.

12. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I am very eclectic and curious about music. So, I listen from pop music to the most extreme bands that exist. In fact, I'm always listening to some music. I can hardly practice my perfect silence! However, in addition to the good old classics, at the moment I am listening a lot to the Satanic music of Ghost. Another band that does not leave my play is Powerwolf, which I had the pleasure of seeing playing this year at Bar Opinião in Porto Alegre. Regarding my influences, I listen to rock since I was little, because my father loves this kind of music. So, it is difficult to quote a band, because I think they all influenced me in some way. However, a band made me perceive music as a spectrum of many possibilities. This band is called Windir!

13. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

First of all, I would like to thank you for your interest in our project and the opportunity to participate in this interview. This type of work is very important for the bands. Secondly, I hope that the metal audience will start to go to smaller band shows more and buy their material. This is very important to keep the scene alive and active! Vexilla regis prodeunt Inferni!

No comments:

Post a Comment