Monday, August 17, 2020

Myrknetsferd Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

- Well. Myrknetsferd is a Norwegian oneman black metal band started up early 2017. I got myself an electric guitar in 2016 and instantly began to create riffs. Since then there have been no turning back.



2.So far you have released 2 demos, musically how do they differ from each other?

- I think that the last one is better and more mature sounding than the first one. The first demo was the first official release of the band and was a bit all over the place musically, but the core of the music is the same; Melodies that creates some kind of dark athmosphere. I will say that «En Vind Af Kulde» brings out well what the band stands for at this point.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?

- The lyrical topics may differ much from song to song really and a bit hard to describe. But in short i can say that nature, Norse mythology (paganism), darkness and complex human thought prosesses are heavily influencing the lyrics. It is up to the listener to make up their own mind about them. Different people will find different meanings in them i think.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Myrknetsferd'?

- It is a fictional Norwegian word that translated to English will be something like «The journey of the Darkness». I wanted a name to fit with the music and lyrics. 



5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new demo cover?

- It is a picture taken by a friend of mine from a place in my home village named Presthaugen. A place with many very old woodhouses that creates the right scenery for grim photos. The night we went there it was   -20 degrees Celsius and the mist of cold came lurking with the freezing wind at the sound of howling wolves in the far distance. I think the artwork fitted with the music on the demo.



6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding the line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?

- It is actually only me in the band. Vildevind played session bass on the first demo though. I think it’s only going to be a oneman band, but you never know. Time will tell.



7.So far there is very little information about the band online except for the bandcamp age, are you open to expanding your inline presence?

- Yes that might happen in the future. 



8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

- I am open for any interests from labels. My demo is released on casette by a brilliant label now. But i have not received any inquiries other than that.



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

- It has been okay I guess but not much. Myrknetsferd is a pretty new and unpolished band with not many contacts. But there have been some interest from Germany.



10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

- It depends on how things goes from now on. I think I will continue to release music as I have done until now through home made demos until maybe a label will release a studio album. If not, I may consider release a fullength by my self as an independent. Who knows. I do at least have enough unreleased material for it that I consider good enough and I have a new release planned for early 2021. I can disclose that.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

- As an influence I have to say first and foremost the early Norwegian black metal bands for sure. It is for instance because of Burzum i even picked up the guitar in the first place. Norwegian folk music has also been very important. And then we have many rock and heavy metal bands from the 70’s and 80’s. But then again I can get inspired when I listen to some techno or other electronic music too. There is a deep well of musical isnpirations.

Nowadays I still listen to the music mentioned above and I think the polish band Mgla is incredible. Their stuff is out of this world in my opinion. There are strong scenes of black metal bands all over Europe now.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

- Consider checking out the latest demo and there are more music coming up from the dark forest of Norway. Hails!

Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment