Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Galvornhathol Interview


 1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?

-Sure! Aside from having the pleasure to do this, I consider the current album cycle as good as done and ventured on to do some writing for "III".  Other than that, I have since moved on to another band/Project of mine and did some recording and production work for an experimental project that I have with buddies of mine. Basically just letting it flow!


2.So far you have released 2 albums with this project, musically how do they both differ from each other? 

-"II" is way more focused in every aspect. Not that this would make it any better in any regard, that's just how it is.  Shorter tracks, no keyboards (synths, yes, but those are guitar-synths). "I" wasn't supposed to have a successor at first, but "II" is at least partly made up from tracks from the "I" session. That made it easy to look at what I wrote for "I" and then see where to go from there. And it made sense. If it doesn't to the listener then that's no big deal. Both records can stand on their own, even if one may not see it as a part in the same journey. Maybe it makes more sense when the third part is out. 


3.The project has been around since 2003 but you waited until 2020 to release any music, can you tell us a little bit more about the earlier years?

-I didn't wait! I wrote tons of songs over the course of the first 2-3 years before I actually started recording (back then it was a Boss BR recorder, later a PC). I couldn't make up my mind in which direction I wanted the whole thing to go at first. The first couple of demos sounded like "Paradise Lost" slowed down. The next demos like the recent "Alcest" on acid. I remember that the HDD on my PC then decided to go bye bye and took all the material with it. So I  re-recorded the guitars and they became the base for those you can hear on the first record. But before I could finish that, life happened and I was in and out of making music for a good 6 years. I didn't take it back up until 2013. From there, I  was involved in a plethora of musical projects. Albeit mostly crap, I invested a lot of imt ein them. Was a good learning process. In regards to life and making music in general. In the end, it's a hobby and supposed to be an enjoyable process. And the process is what interests me the most about making music. Not having it done. And that process can take a crapload of time. I'm glad it did. I became a better musician over the years (believe it or not, haha).


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with both of the releases and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?

-For clarification: I = Nature/ground/earth focused, II = More ethereal, focused on the individual and personal growth. It's going "up" so to say. There's always at least one track that strays from the path. On "II", that could be several. "Ynntal" for example is simply about an area in Austria that I really like and how great it feels to be there. That song could have been on "I" too, as it is a "nature song" but I didn't write this one back when I did the "I" sessions.

As far as progress in songwriting goes; I really can't say that I made any. Since all Galv-records are mostly German, my limited English vocabulary didn't hinder my songwriting that much. Basically it's on the same level as it was when I wrote the first track for "I". If at all, then I managed to write material that's less cheesy. Lyrics change with their respective subjects. They're just different than they were before as they will be on upcoming records.


5.The know that the band name was inspired by the writings of J.R.R Tolkien, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his work? 

-Hate me, but I didn't even read the books. Not sure if I ever will either. No disrespect to the work of the man, but I wouldn't know anything about Tolkien's work, if it wasn't for Peter Jackson's movies. Since I saw those, I indulged myself in all Lotr games and artworks I could gather. That is what I find inspiring about it. The lore he created. Fascinating. It's not the story itself, or any of its characters. I'm just totally fascinated by the world/universe of  Lotr. But that is not because of what I read from the material, but more of what came out of it. Drawings, pictures, movies. To quote Bruce Lee; "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless...". I didn't take much, but I took what I liked about the works of Tolkien. And that was a fascinating world, which sometimes seems awfully close to ours. 


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover? 

-Those are prayer flags in tibetan language. I took that photo on an analogue E6 film on a mountain top near where I live. I found it transports the transition from earth/ground to the sky that will continue.  The flags usually contain prayers for prosperity, peace and so on. Something positive. That reminded me of what I wanted to express with this album. The original was in colour, but I desaturated it. That just felt right. I guess it symbolizes that one can find the positive aspects in a picture of tristesse. The original with colours is up on bandcamp though.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with other musicians, how would you compare the two?

-In my humble experience, working by yourself is simpler, more streamlined and faster. 


8.You also have experience working with other genres of music in your other projects, do you feel this has made you a better musician?

-Definitely! I could NEVER limit myself to one genre of music. That would be the death of all my creativity. I'm glad I had the chance to experience a multitude of different styles, even bits of jazz. That was amazing! I hope to be able to explore more. 


9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

-No. I didn't bother to look. This project doesn't have any commercial potential from what I see. Besides, two albums are not a track record that can convince a label to pump any amount of cash into it. And without that it's going pretty much nowhere.


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of post black metal?

-I have read a couple of good comments and some reviews. Some folks seemed to enjoy it. That's more than I could ever ask for and the sole reason why I even bother to share any of it. It was worth putting in the time and effort, that's for sure!


11.What is going on with your other musical projects these days?

-I'm in the great position to be involved in more bands/projects than ever before. it's all easy-going stuff, by hobbyists like me and it doesn't eat me up. I have "Rodtgod", another solo project of mine, then there is a sludge band I co-founded in 2013 and two musical collectives I play bass in. One isn't out yet, the other just released a live record and another one of those is coming out soon. Lot's of great times with great people. I honestly never felt better than now. The world can be pretty shit at times but it is also what you make with, and out of it. It's not easy and it ain't guaranteed. But doing the work and setting your mind straight can get you places. I stoically made/make music without caring about the outcome and now I can share that in several projects of which I couldn't be more proud to be a part in. That is, among others, also one of the core beliefs you can extract from the album "II".


12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

-I don't care. I don't have any ambitions other than making music and releasing it if it turns out somewhat good. I don't care about looking too much into the future just as I don't care about the past. Doesn't help the present too much. I like being in the moment, seeing what comes up in my mind around me and then grabbing it by the tail. I hope we get the chance to talk about that in the future, but I can't tell for sure if the sounds I will come up with will suit you. That being said; whatever may come, I let it happen and see!


13.What are you listening to nowadays?

-I'm currently not listening to that much music. Mostly podcasts of a lot of different kinds. But one new album I liked was the latest "Wilderun" album. As fast as Black Metal goes, I only listened to the latest "Funeral Mist". Then there was the new "Wiegedood", but I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. The new "Voivod" album seems promising. But I haven't checked that out yet. 


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

-When I try to get myself to share either of the above, I usually can't get anything out of me. Therefore, to say it in the words of Wim Hof; "Just be in the moment." 

Aside from that, thanks for taking the time and I hope it was as interesting for you, as it was for me. Thank you and take care! 

No comments:

Post a Comment