Monday, December 5, 2022

Veska Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Firstly, thank you for the opportunity to be interviewed by you - it's an honor. Veska began in 2021 as an experiment to challenge myself in the art of writing and recording music all on my own. I have experience playing in bands over the years but wanted to push my artistic limits and thus, Veska was born and has grown into what it is today.


2.In 2023 you have a new album coming out, musically how does it differ from your previous full length, ep's and singles?


The new album will be the first Veska release to be a fully formed idea with its own themes, both musically and lyrically. I believe it to be the culmination of my work up to this point and it is by far the most "mature" my sound has ever been. Unlike the previous releases, I feel like Unbound is truly a "coming of age" moment for me as an artist as I believe I've finally found "my" sound with this album. Sonically, I would have to say this album differs from the rest in that it is by far the heaviest, darkest, and fastest set of songs I've recorded yet. I'm incredibly excited to finally be able to share it with the world.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?


As I mentioned, this is the first work of mine to really have a consistent theme throughout. Prior releases have honestly explored whatever topics happened to be on my mind at the time of writing, but this one was different for me. This time around I was motivated by my own worldview in the form of my utter disdain for the systems in place in our world that seek to bind us to their bidding. Be it spiritual or mundane in nature, though we as humans are generally "free," we are all bound by the delusions of entities outside of ourselves. That is the topic or theme I wanted to explore. I wanted to create something to light a spark in people to help them see that they do in fact have the strength to break their chains and find a true sense of self-liberation. A lofty goal, but one I stand by and pursue nonetheless.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Veska'?


I really wish there was a cool story behind the name...but to be honest, I was pumping gas one day and the name just popped into my head. I did a quick Google search to make sure it wasn't a band I had listened to recently, but all I could find was that it is apparently a common name for women in Finland. Either way, I decided it was a fitting name for the new project.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


Yes! The album art for Unbound was created by the one and only Rotting Reign who is simply the best when it comes to dark art. RR and I discussed the theme of the album as mentioned above briefly and he ran with it. I wanted the cover to convey someone breaking free from literal chains as a symbolic reference to the theme of the album. He knocked it out of the park with what he delivered. Honestly, when I saw the art for the first time it added another layer to the album for me. I'm no art critic, but when I look at it I see it a level deeper now. Initially in my mind, the person on the cover is just breaking free from what's tormenting them - but there's another layer to it. It raises the question - "is this person successfully breaking free? Or are they failing and being dragged back down?" I love that about this particular piece of art and it fits perfectly into the album's theme. Its as if I'm asking "Do you have the strength to be your own person, free of any and all control? Or are you going to succumb?" The artwork to me is what makes this album a complete and true work of art.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


I don't want to reveal too much, but there are definitely plans in motion to expand Veska to a full line-up in the coming year. Working solo has its perks, but I would love to have the ability to perform music live with a full band.


7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interests?


If a label would be willing to sign me, that would be a dream come true for me. Music is my passion and I would love the chance to be backed by a label. Its a competitive world though, and there are certainly a lot of others putting out some great stuff - but to get to be among them, would be a true honor.


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I've been fortunate enough to receive overwhelming positivity from the community from day one. Its still surreal to me that people from all over the world have streamed my music or taken the next step to buy some merch from me. I continue to be humbled by the people who reach out to provide compliments and support for what I do. I strive to reciprocate that energy back into the scene to keep it great.


9.Do you also have any experience playing with other bands or musical projects?


I do! I started my first metal band in high school in which I performed vocals, admittedly not that great at the time because I had no idea what I was doing. We managed to play a few shows and have some fun with it. Later I joined a black metal band at first just on bass guitar, then took on the role of lead vocals as well. That band also saw a few live shows as well as DIY house shows. I'm eternally grateful for those experiences as I believe they helped shape the artist I am today. I still keep in contact with most everyone I've played with across those endeavors and we are great friends.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


That is a great question...in the short to mid term I would like to see Veska with a full line-up that regularly plays live shows. From there...its very hard to predict, but let's just say there's a lot I would give to do this full-time.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I tend to cast a pretty wide net when it comes to what I listen to and/or what I'm influenced by. Obviously the second wave of black metal has always been a major influence on me, but I draw on a lot of different genres to create my music. Aside from black metal, I'm also really into more doom styles and think that with Unbound the marrying of those influences is quite apparent. To get particular though, the bands I've been influenced by most over the years (to name a few) are Watain, Uada, Mayhem, Young and in the Way, Wolves in the Throne Room, Amenra, Paradise Lost, Midnight, Children of Bodom, Integrity...the list goes on. I really do draw influence from almost every band I come across that I enjoy. Lately I've been on a big Motorhead kick along with the new Stormruler album, some Martyrdod, Zeal & Ardor, and Harakiri for the Sky.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?   


I'd like to thank you again for taking your time to listen to the new album and giving me the opportunity to be interviewed. My final words to anyone reading this are to stay strong, never give in, keep fighting against your oppressors - you have more inner strength than you can possibly imagine; all you must do is look inward, find your flame and never let it be extinguished. I look forward to sharing Ubound with you all January 13, 2023!

No comments:

Post a Comment