1. Can you update with what is going on with Vinterriket these days?
Hello. Thank you for the interview. There is not much going on these days. The latest album “Horizontmelancholie” is out since spring 2009 and I am currently preparing the upcoming album. However, the upcoming album will not be released before the end of 2010/early 2011.
2. You have done both black metal and ambient albums under this name, which one of the two styles do you prefer doing and how would you compare both of them?
Approximately 80 % of all music (Vinterriket) could be classified as dark ambient. Some of the older stuff is in the BM vein. Sometimes it is good to do a mix of both styles. I have to be in the right mood to do that. Mainly Vinterriket is dark ambient, however on the latest record Vinterriket got a more Dark Neofolk-like touch because of the acoustic guitars.
3. What is the meaning behind the band's name?
Vinterriket is Norwegian/Swedish and means “The Winterrealm”.
4. You have participated in alot of projects over the years, which ones are you doing these days and which one would you consider as your main project?
Currently I am running the following projects. All of them are “main” I would say.
Vinterriket (Dark Ambient / BM/ Neofolk)
Atomtrakt (Martial & Cold Industrial)
Sturmpercht (Alpine Folk)
Fräkmündt (Swiss Ur-Folk)
Battle Dagorath (BM)
Lufschutzkerker (my audio mastering business)
DÂNNÂGÔISCHD (Forest Folk)
5. How has your music been received so far by both black metal and ambient fans worldwide?
Vinterriket is well known in the ambient & BM scene I would say. However, I do not care that much about “scenes”. If people like the music (regardless to which scene they belong to) I am honored, if not, I do not care
6. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?
The new album will start where “Horizontmelancholie” ended: Dark Ambient mixed with Neofolk. However, in the future there might be an album with a different style… I do not know. I just do what I feel to do. I.e. in the future there might be again a BM record or something completely different.
7. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and what are you listening to nowadays?
I am listening to all kinds of music. As long as the music is interesting, dark, original and melancholic. Those parameters need to be fulfilled. I mean, everybody gets influenced by a lot of things: books, films, memories, friends, whatever. My main source of inspiration for Vinterriket is the dark side of nature I would say.
8. Out off all the albums that you have recorded so far which one are you the most satisfied with?
I am satisfied with all of them. However, “Horizontmelancholie” is probably the best album so far
9. How would you describe the lyrical content of your black metal works?
A reflection of the dark side of nature and personal feelings
10. Do you have any interest in Paganism or Occultism?
No. Religion = stupid. All kinds of religions, whether it is Christianity or Satanism or whatever: it is stupid and childish. Religion is only for weak people, who are not able to deal with themselves.
11. What are some of your interests outside of music?
Music and nature!
12. Any final words or thoughts?
Thanks for the interview