1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
A: We play atmospheric black metal in an undisclosed area of California. We're composed of two full time members along with two live musicians.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
A: Our sound is comprised of elements ranging from black metal to rock and subtle implements of neo folk. We have a slight ambient approach but still consider ourselves a generally aggressive band.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
A: I tend to dwell on negative aspects of my past. Allot of personal experiences is what actually fuels my lyrical process along with elements of nature that i feel connect with what i try to convey. Pain and Earth are the most beautiful things in this life, And I feel it is my duty to express them. -Issaiah
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
A: The name Aylwin translates to forest elf, or friendly elf. We, in our personal lives, draw inspiration from the majestic atmosphere of our natural surroundings and feel it's imperative to maintain a relationship with all things natural.
5. Currently there are only 2 full time members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain a duo?
A: Yes, we are primarily two members, but we've incorporated two live members into our live performances since January of 2012.
6. Currently you are signed to Red River Family, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
A: That's a common misconception due to the general lack of information on our project. Yes, we have worked with and released through Red River Family Records but we also maintain a strong work relationship with Eternal Warfare Records. The upcoming Cerna split however, will be released through Red River Family.
7. In the last year you have put out splits with both Zinumm and Stellar Descent, what are your thoughts on the bands that participated in the splits?
A: Unfortunately due to the distance, our personal affiliation with Njova of Zinumm is minimal and not as strong as we'd like it to be. His music is definitely intruiging to say the least. Anthony of Stellar Descent is a personal friend of ours and his take on atmospheric black metal is authentic and very inspiring.
We tend to catch ourselves getting lost in his side of the split frequently and can't wait to hear what he produces next.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?
A: From what we've experienced, the general response to our music is positive and therefore motivates us to continue on our path.
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
A: We are always changing and never wish to duplicate our sound from the previous releases, although similar in nature they may be.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
A: The current wave of USBM and post black metal of all types constantly inspire us to create. As far as our individual preferences go, Issaiah enjoys Alda, Stellar Descent, Tukaaria, and most of the Black Twilight Circle. Justin enjoys bands such as Arizmenda, Denouncement Pyre, Antediluvian, and SKagos.
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
A: Issaiah is heavily involved in his cultures' folk dance in which he's a professional performer. Justin holds a deep interest in esoterics and the spiritual/scientific aspects of the occult.....and we both like smoking pot and drinking J's(Beers).
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview/
A: Thank you for your interest of our project. Keep listening, and stay informed. Always new things to come.