Monday, October 3, 2016

Irillion Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Irillion was founded in January 2015 as a way for me to reconnect with the folklore and history surrounding the region I was born in. I'm from Venezuela and currently living in Mexico.


2.Recently you have released an EP, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

I've been told by the few that have listened to the EP that it sounds somewhat melancholic, dynamic and even heroic/epic. I'd rather listen to the impressions it makes on people than describe it myself. Some ideas that made it on the EP are quite old; I tried giving them a coherent structure and turn them into full songs, and take the chance to experiment and learn while recording. Vocals were originally going to be included but due to time constraints and not being able to find a proper vocalist it ended up being fully instrumental.


3.All of the music is instrumental, are you open to using any vocals or lyrics in the future?

Yes. I was never opposed to working with vocals, plus it'd be a good learning experience if I ever decide to do it myself for future releases.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Irillion'?

I took the name from a fantasy short story called "Idle Days On The Yann" by Lord Dunsany.


5.With the exception of a drummer you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with a full band in the future?

I'm open to live shows, though currently it's unlikely to happen. But it'd be nice to start playing live before this year's end.


6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

Not currently, but perhaps in the near future. No label has contacted us yet but the EP has only been out for a little about a week.


7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?

The select few who have listened to it have enjoyed it and keep a good impression of the EP. One major suggestion people have made is that it'd carry a more complete texture if it had vocals, which is something I can agree with. I don't really agree with the 'atmospheric black metal' tag, but whatever works for people.


8.Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?

No. At the moment Irillion is my only 'active' project.


9.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?

I expect to keep learning and experimenting. There's still many ideas that I'd like to include on a future release.


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

There's some obvious inluence from bands like Beherit and Burzum, both of which I listen to regularly. But not everything I listen to influences the music I make. I enjoy black metal, doom metal (most particularly funeral doom), some electronic music, ambient, academic composers like Lauro, Bruckner, Ravel and Beethoven, Slayer (their first five albums should be their own fucking genre), and I also have my own share of personal guilty pleasures.


11.What are some of your non-musical interests?

Going to shows, watching horror films or cheesy Japanese kaiju films, video games, reading, drinking and swearing.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

 Anyone willing to support the project can do so by buying the EP on Bandcamp, physical copies are a possibility in the future. Thank you for the interview. Hail the Catatumbo!

Bandcamp
Facebook
ReverbNation
SoundCloud
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment