Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Primordial Serpent Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?


 


As of right now, I’m just waiting on the labels for sending out the physical releases for my latest album and just continuing to promote my music anyway I can


 


2.In September you had released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


 


With Under the Sign of the Bloodmoon, I wanted to try and go for more darker and gothic direction in comparison to my previous releases. The reason why is because the subject matter that the album is centered around is a video game called Bloodborne which itself is heavily gothic themed


 


3.Since 2020 you have released a great amount of material, do you spend a lot of your time writing and creating music?


 


Absolutely.  Especially during the Covid Pandemic. There wasn’t much for me to do other than work and stay at home. So I needed to do something to occupy my time. Plus music in general is a massive part of my life


 


4.A lot of your lyrics cover Occultism, Paganism and Mythology themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in esoteric topics?


 


Well I’ve always had an interest in reading about lore of any kind ever since when I was a teen. I loved reading about stories on mythical characters and creatures as well. It was very against the norm and I always had a fascination with things that went against the norm. I’m sure there are more reasons but that’s mainly it.


 


5.You also cover some Dark Fantasy themes lyrically, can you tell us a little bit more about how this topic has an influence on your songwriting?


 


Growing up, I played a fair bit of fantasy based games such as Witcher, Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, Zelda, and so on. So over the years, I just took my knowledge about the lore of the games and tried to apply it to my music as best as I could


 


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Primordial Serpent'?


 


Just as I said, I was fan of the video game series Dark Souls. In the video game, there are these creatures called primordial serpents that help guide the player throughout the game. Originally I wanted to call my project Kaathe which is the name of one of them, but it was already taken. So I went with Primordial Serpent.


 


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


 


Under the Sign of the Bloodmoon is entirely inspired by the video game Bloodborne. The album artwork is basically a rough interpretation of what the game is like. You take on the role of a hunter that hunts lycanthropic beasts. I presented the idea to the artist, Monorthern, and gave him a rough idea as to what I want for the album cover and just let his creativity role. The frame was a custom frame made by Rotting Reign which I used for some of my pics.


 


8.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


 


I mainly prefer to work solo. Over the years when I did other music projects, I worked solo (with Dojo Kobra being the only exception). I find it easier for me to work solo because it allows me to work at my own pace without having a scheduled commitment to the project.


 


9.So far you have been a part of splits with 'Sumis' and 'Hellmoon'. what are your thoughts on the other bands or musical projects that you have shared those recordings with?


 


Sumis I never had the chance to hear until about a month ago when I brought the split to friends place. After hearing their music, I was genuinely happy that I had done a split with them. They’re very good. Hellmoon is another Winnipeg based act that I’ve been best friends with about the past 3 or 4 years and that guy is talented. He fronts another Winnipeg black metal act called Nocturnal Departure, fronted as vocalist for my drone metal band Dojo Kobra, does art under the moniker of Rotting Reign. I was super excited that I got to do a split with him.


 


10.You have also worked with a few labels on the physical versions of your releases, can you tell us a little bit more about the labels you have worked with so far?


 


All I can say is that they’ve all been great to work with and have done plenty spreading the word of my music and I feel grateful to have their support. That’s all I can say, really


 


11.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal.


 


I think it’s been overall positive. They all appreciate that I handle the song writing, performances, and production myself. Some are even amazed that when I tell them I’m from Canada, they don’t believe it because I just have the old Scandinavian sound down to a T.


 


12.Can you tell us a little bit more about the other bands or musical projects that you are a part of?


 


I have a dungeon synth project called Kalameet which is heavily inspired by the dark souls universe with the exception of Everlasting Prairie Winters. The other project that I have is Dojo Kobra which is a blackened drone doom metal project between myself and 2 of my best friends Cavan (Hellmoon and other aforementioned) and Tim Cleaver who does guitars where I do bass and synth programming


 


13.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


 


I get asked this a lot and my answer is mainly the same; I have no clue. The future is unwritten and I think that’s for the best


 


14.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


 


Well a lot of my influences come heavily from the Scandinavian black metal scene but they also come from various thrash bands, punk bands as well. As far as what I’ve been listening to, just mainly what I’ve been listening to for the past 10-15 years; punk, metal, experimental music, ambient music, post rock…I’m constantly listening to different types


 


15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


 


I need a coffee hahahahaha. But seriously, thanks for having me take part in this interview and also thanks to everyone who has continued to support me thus far.

Bandcamp
Deezer
Facebook
Instagram
SoundCloud
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment