Friday, October 6, 2023

Cromlech Interview

 

 1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

Cromlech was formed in 1994. It´s a solo project. Through the creation of a Full Band named Dies Ater this project was buried before it lived. In 2021 the idea came back...


2.You have a new album coming out towards the end of September, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical styles that yo went for on the recording?

The musical styles? Well, It´simply old Black Metal without technical speed records, just atmospheric, and sombre. 2 Songs are actually old ("Cold and Stiff" and parts of "Fields"). The rest is completley new Material. Written between 2021 and 2023. 


3.You started the solo project in the 90's but waited until this year to finally release some music, can you tell us a little bit more about the long wait?

As indicated at the beginning before I could finish the Cromlech Demo, Dies Ater was born. From there on no one of us needed a solo project anymore and we all set the focus on this band and it´s live activities.

Dies Ater split up in 2014, later I played in Albez Duz. This Band is on Ice since 2019, cause the singer disappeared. So I had as good as no musicians around me anymore and the pandemic begann. It was actually a weird time. I wanted to go on and so the idea of Cromlech came back.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with this project?

Personal experiences.Inner war and inner peace. Nothing I can or want to explain specifically. But the lyrics are sung understandably.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Cromlech'?

I choose the name back then, because I was fascinated of the song and the lyrics from Darkthrone´s opening track of "Soulside Journey". Sure, today there are hundreds of Bands with the same name. But in 1994 I was definitely one of the first, so screw it!!!

I took this Name again as planned and yes, it feels good and right!  


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

This picture, actually a "Selfie" was taken outside when I was 15, I think. It was also considered for the Demo Tape back then. Fortunately I still had this Pic in my basement and could use it for the Album.

Maybe it was also influenced by Darkthrone´s Album Artwork of the same Year. But I´m not sure!!11! 


7.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience playing drums in full time bands, how would you compare the two?

The one does not exclude the other. But it´s right, I recorded everything by myself. Since some years I´m the owner of the Lighthill Studios. There I record Drums and Guitars. Mostly the rest (Bass, Keys, Vocals) and the mix at Home.

The first album I produced there was "The coming of Mictlan" (2014) of Albez Duz. In my personal Discography I would set it on Number One.The time, the songs, the people, the artwork...But that´s another story! Next to "Cold and Stiff" (personal number two of all albums) of course!


I  also recorded the Demo from Azketem ("Izernznytazure") and the upcoming Album it will be released in 2024. Stay tuned!

To produce own material can be pretty stressful. As far as I'm concerned, the productions aren't totally perfect. BUT! They have that spirit, if you want that old spirit. Nothing is clinical or technical. And exactly in this way what I had in mind. That is real self-realization. And I rate the albums so highly for a reason.


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

Mostly positive I think. The album had a premiere on Youtube by Black Metal Promotion. I could definitely tell more about it when the Record is old!


9.Are you involved with any other bands these days?

Actually no. As I said for  Albez Duz I´m still looking for a new singer and Guitar Player. So Albez Duz is dead but dreaming! Cromlech is at the moment  the only active project... 


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I´m now 45 and most of the dreams I had have already been fulfilled. I will go on and I´m working on new material for a second Cromlech Album. An End is far away!!


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Well, don´t want to mention any specific Band. But if I have to I would say Darkthrone. That was maybe the biggest influence in the beginning. See the Bandname, the Cover Artwork and so on. These days they don't interest me anymore. I can just mention my last bought records: Cavalera´s "Morbid Visions" Re-recordings (one of the Highlight of the Year, well done!), The Beatles Discography (Love them all, especially the last albums), Wolfsmond "3" (Masterpiece!) and longer ago: Uriah Heep´s albums from 71 til 73. Simply amazing. There is a lot more These were the first things that came to mind.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks. Alles ist gesagt. 



 https://archaic-sound. bandcamp.com/album/cold-and- stiff

No comments:

Post a Comment