Friday, October 27, 2023

The Last Eon Interview

 


1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

 Where to begin, The Last Eon started like, 7 years ago, when one day I decided to create the music I got tired of searching for. I always had something for the industrial and electronic edge, perhaps due to that I fell in love with bands such as Mysticum and Thorns specially. Nonetheless, I’ve always been frustrated by the lack of bands in the subgenre, and at some point, I just had to put myself down and write the music that I was subconsciously craving for.


 2. In November you have your first full length coming out, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording? 

I believe that making a band that sounds like another one, especially in black metal, is to me considered, let’s say… self insulting. This is by no means a rule, or a better standpoint than any other, has a merit to play “classic” black metal and do so well, but is not for me. Due to this I put a load of effort into figuring out how my inner universe sounded like, in a sense, who am I, musically? in that effort, adding Gabber/Hardcore kicks and elements had to happen, I wanted to unite the extreme violence I love from black metal with the bestial intensity of hardcore. Then, I believe that my tendencies to go beyond all limits and conformities did the rest. 


3. Some of the lyrics cover Luciferian themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the left hand path? 

Well, the “right” hand path rapes kids and looks the other way, the right hand path make s people suicidal and then turns them into SSRI zombies for profit, the right hand path enslaves and destroys, the right hand path indoctrinated you and everyone reading this words for years in a scheme they called “education” designed to create obedient individuals. The Left hand path for me is the only path that if liveth would grant any sort of damn meaning in life, and I am not even talking about any spiritual dimension. To me, from the very get go, even if I was raised as a christian, I could not look away from the manipulative nature of the right hand path. If the people that represent God behave this way, God then is the enemy, period. along the way though, when I was about 13 years of age, I had a spontaneous spiritual experience, a revelation, an apparition. about it I talked for the first time in the song from the last Eon “Thus Light Spoke” make of it what you wilt, I became involved by white light and a being of infinite beauty spoke to me, he introduced himself as Luzbel, (that is the angelical name of Lucifer) . You are the first person beyond my family whom I tell this to, btw, it has haunted me at the same time that has inspired me, but all in all, when I was a christian ( as a child) all the prayers were answered with silence and indifference. the beatings, the blood, the pain and chaos, never explained. When I left the christian cult, Lucifer appeared to me to explain the meaning of my existence. What am I going to do, think, believe? Like anyone else, I believe my direct experience and on it, the Left hand path was the only option. At about 16 I left everything related to the “occult” way too obscure and convoluted to convey any meaning. I grew tired of the egocentric feeling that gave “Look, I am wearing scary looking symbols and I chant things in latin that I although I have no Idea of am I saying. This was to me the same as christianity, but with upside down crosses. My skepticism ended some years ago, when psychedelics presented to me spirituality in the most straightforward, undeniably real experiences ever, beyond language or symbiology, “The all is one”.


 4. Another main theme on the album is psychedelics, what are some of the experiences you have had with psychedelics that you bring into your songwriting?

 When I learned about psychedelics, I had my first direct experiences of non-duality, of ego dissolution and a whole universe unfolded before my eyes of infinite meaning. I confronted my fears, my demons and internal hell, I thought, this is the most black metal thing that could ever exist. the psychedelic experience, the path towards enlightenment, there is no more pure act of rebellion in this society that we live in than the act of thinking by yourself, of being yourself, and psychedelics showed what did the mystics meant when they said that “you are god” or in this case, “you are Lucifer” Now, in my writing, I wanted to go beyond what you will find in occultism, not even the imaginary, I wanted to portray what I experience as luciferianism, as psychedelic mysticism, and I wanted to break from the concept of “Dark and evil” that our ego loves so much to involve themselves into. The truth will require to merge opposites, and reside in a place that is beyond the concepts of good and evil, good or wrong, up or down. This will in fact destroy you, as it destroyed me. the part that loathed myself, the side that wanted to commit suicide, that part of you, the ego is wat gets obliterated when the psychedelic path is walked. I wanted to convey those emotions, I want to generate curiosity around the subject of psychedelics in the black metal culture.


 5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'The Last Eon'?

 The Last Eon, the end of time-space, the death of GOD, the christian apocalypse, and the only thing that is absolutely certain about existence, there will be a last moment, we exist then, in The Last Eon. Although I now understand that time is a cognitive illusion, I thought that it fit the band, the vibe and the concept. 


6. Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover? 

Of course, It only took a year to develop it… let me guide you through it From the center outwards, you'll find first the eye: The eye represents Human awareness, as we see outwards in this seemingly material universe, and the vastness of space. The eye is at the center of a galaxy, representing our innate egocentrism, at the same time that represents how awareness has manifested in this universe through us. then, outwards, you'll find Jormungand, the Ouroboros This is to me one of the most incredible symbols humanity has conceived. The snake that beats its own tail, Ouroboros, Jormungand', representing self-reference and self-creation across cultures and epochs, you'll find this symbol in the ancient egypt, the Nørdic Mythology and the aztec/mayan religion, the same symbol. It does represent in a way that “The all is one”, non duality. As you see, the psychedelic molecules in the serpent’s body indicates that psychedelics are the portal between the material universe (inside the portal) and the infinite acausal universe our consciousness comes from, of fractal shape( represented by the fractal around it: then, there is a symbiology I like from the matrix, the red and blue pill, represented as planets: they represent the ultimate choice between liberation or contentment with what is. In other words, comprehending what’s beyond the material world will come to you and everyone as a matter of choice when the time comes. And why not, a trivia fact, the head of the ouroboros is the skull of my deceased friend, a siberian Husky that passed away as I was finishing the cover artwork: . I wanted to make a tribute to him in this album. The artwork is the product of the collaboration between an artist Ebenezer42 and I. 


7. Currently there are only 2 members in the band, is this band going to be strictly a studio project?

 Well, actually, as for the time I write this, the project is just me, Jarle Byberg was the studio drummer, but won’t play live. It's just me at the moment. No, to me music is not making a n album, music has to be experienced live. I am, as we speak, putting together the live lineup, so stay put because this project will indeed hit the stages.


 8. On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal and industrial?

 I just released the second song, so what can I know?, what is true is that some close friends of mine have told me things about it from “Dude this is the future of metal!” to, “Sorry but I don't like any type of industrial music, it is too modern for me”, which to me both indicate a good thing, it creates a guttural reaction in people, either you love it, or you hate it, but nobody that listens to it becomes indifferent. As an artist, I take pride in having created something people have never heard before. creating “more of the same”, the type of music you forget as soon as the song ends, would signify my death as an artist.


 9. What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that the band members are a part of? 

Well, I am now working on some The 3rd Attempt material, the process is long because life has this fucking mania of loving to get in the fucking way. but for sure, you will hear news fairly soon about the next movement from the 3rd attempt. Also, I am finishing the composition of the 3rd album of my first band, Necrocave. We never released anything and it dates from the times where I was in Spain, the albums were created for ourselves, and I believe they are in youtube, but never did anything with it. So there is some action as well with this project which only like 10 people on earth might know about, now you do too.


 10. Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future? 

I don't know, neither I will ever plan it, my music creates itself through me, I don master plan it. I will keep pushing to break boundaries, to mix hardcore electronic to create the most entrancing monumental and intense music I can conceive of, what shape does that take, Is a mystery. 


11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? 

My personal hall of fame, and influence for The Last Eon are Thorns, Mysticum, Mayhem, Dødhemsgaard, but also, in the electronic side must be mentioned Angerfist, Mad Dog, Scarphase, and DeleteDJ (R.I.P man). To me, Gabber/Hardcore and Extreme metal have many things in common, in fact, when you think about it, hardcore is to electronic music what extreme metal is to rock music. Both are brutal, distorted, right on your face, violent and both are loved by the kind of people that dont fucking want to be a part of the rotten society we live within. Both are the sound of rebellion. 


12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

Thanks for your time invested in this interview and the dedication to the scene, is very difficult to find people who gives an actual fuck. Lastly, to everyone reading this, if you don't know about them, I invite you to research about psychedelics such as psilocybin (mushrooms) Dimethyltryptamine, Lsd, etc… and what can they do for you, specially if you are infested with SSRI’s (antidepressants and mood stabilizers), when taken properly, they can be the before and after of oone’s existence. If you know about them, spread the word



https://youtu.be/G6u0F6V7nDs

No comments:

Post a Comment