Friday, May 20, 2016

Neoheresy Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Hello. Neoheresy was formed around the year 2012 after completing the work on the last album of Hellveto – ‘Damnarets’. It is still a solo project in which the whole instrumentation including the vocals and the drums is arranged and recorded by me. It is still music with a personal and emotional character and the changes have a stylistic nature.

2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
 ‘Potop’ was recorded in summer 2015 and after a year it was officially released on CD by the American Elegy Records. The lyrical aspect of the album is focused on the theme of destruction and the world’s end and the compositions make a consistent story which ends in the eponymous ‘Potop’. Regarding music the album contains a large amount of choral emphasis, multilayer vocals and fairly strongly underlined acoustic parts. In some arrangements the mix is formed of a few melodic lines demanding from the listener quite sharp focus. Personally, it is difficult for me to speak about my own work because I took part in its production, I know its targets and I cannot analyze it objectively. I have heard opinions that with every further listening to this stuff we begin to hear new sounds and arrangements which make the background of the keynote. To sum up, it is not for one-time listening. It requires from the listener focus and careful listening thanks to which he/she can map the richness of the sound palette.

3.This project was formed out of the ashes of 'Hellveto', what was the cause of disbanding your old project and starting out with a new one?
When I started my work on Hellveto I was a teenager. From that time a lot of things have changed. The way I perceived the world, music or ideology have undergone transformation what after some time motivated me to leave behind some things and start a new phase. I know that Hellveto established itself a position, it was a recognisable name on the music scene. However my inner need to start a new chapter was stronger than objective or sentimental considerations.

4.Since 2014, you have put out a total of 5 releases so far, do you put a great amount of time and effort into this project?
Music is my passion. I don’t count the amount of time I put into it, I don’t calculate. Creating a solo project demands great commitment, submission and giving up many things. Not to mention financial issues and equipment because it is obvious. I have chosen such a way, it gives me satisfaction and I am pleased in spite of many sacrifices. 

5.Your lyrics cover a lot of pagan topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in Paganism?
Paganism is only one side of the lyrical aspect which is not treated literally as religion or faith. It’s a synonym of something that passed, of times veiled in mystery about which we know little from the official sources. The texts include everything that according to the Christian understanding of the world, culture and our past is regarded as heresy.

6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Neoheresy'?
The name has a symbolic meaning. Partly it refers to the new opening of my work. It also relates to the message which is to be found in this music. Neoheresy was also the name of the Hellveto album recorded in 2007 which was a fairly important production in my discography.

7.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?
Neoheresy is assumed to be a solo band. It reflects personal visions, emotions, it expresses my individual feelings and the perspective of the world transferred into sound. Generally I don’t negate cooperation with other musicians. I collaborated on different projects and probably it is going to continue in the future however Neoheresy will remain solo.

8.In 2015 you where a part of a split with 'Hegemoon', what are your thoughts on the other band that had participated on the recording?
It was a spontaneous action without careful thought and plans. Hegemoon plays simple and plain music referring to good traditions of Black Metal so I didn’t have to think much. After some conversations and agreements, the mentioned CD was made in a couple of weeks.

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of pagan and black metal?
As far as I know the opinions are positive. After so many years on the music scene the reviews and opinions don’t make an impression on me any longer and they don’t have an influence on my music performance. Once I was more emotional about the assessment of my work and it was a huge motivation. Nowadays I am desensitized about it and I particularly don’t care about considering this matter. I do what I like, it gives me satisfaction and the things that happen around are of little significance to me.

10. Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician?
I don’t consider myself a musician because I associate this term with people who play professionally. I have no music education, I haven’t attended any music schools etc. On the one hand it is a disadvantage which in some situations can limit me. On the other hand it is an advantage – creating sounds beyond set patterns.

11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
At present I have little time for music consumption. The most often I listen to old stuff such as Accept, Bathory, Hellhammer the first albums of Burzum or the east music scene of the 90s. When it comes to inspiration it is mainly beyond music. I try not to get into someone’s stylistics or emulate someone’s work what is clearly heard in the sounds of Neoheresy. It is known that certain reference cannot be avoided playing within a certain genre however I think they occur occasionally.

12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thanks for the interview.


Bandcamp
Homepage
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment