Sunday, January 3, 2021

Nordicwinter Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?

My fourth Nordicwinter album will be entitled "Sorrow" and will be released in March 2021 by Hypnotic Dirge Records. The great thing is that he's also doing some merch bundles for that release. Some interesting items should be available once it's launched. Keep an eye out for that.

2.In 2020 you had released 2 albums with this project, musically how do they both differ from each other?

I would say that 'Requiem' is a more varied album then 'Desolation' in terms of musical style. It has faster sections, slow parts, it even has some blast beats. While 'Desolation' is slower and more atmospheric throughout. I really like both albums, but 'Desolation' is closer to what I want Nordicwinter to be in the future, a more atmospheric depressive project.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored on both of the releases?

The lyrical themes and subject matter on both albums are somewhat similar, as both deal with death, dying, solitude and despair. Most of the lyrics are from the first person perspective and are written to convey the despair and the longing to die, the hopelessness and bleak outlook on what life has been and what is yet to come.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nordicwinter'?

At the time the Nordicwinter project was created in 2005 or so, the music was supposed to be just 'basic black metal'. So I wanted a basic name to go with that, Nordicwinter was the most basic name I could come up with. Over the years Nordicwinter's music has obviously evolved and changed, but it's a bit late to change the name to encapsulate what Nordicwinter has become. But honestly, I don't think it really matters.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork on the recent album cover?

In Canada, we have lots of forests, and for me, being in the forest really separates you from the outside world we live in day to day. Even though a forest is vast, you still feel isolated and alone within it. I wanted to make the artwork of 'Desolation' that represents that feeling.

6.With this project you record everything by yourself but also have experience working with full line ups, how would you compare the two?

I really enjoyed working with band mates and working on music as a group, even though in most bands I was in, I ended up writing most of the music by myself. Working with other people was fun and having input from different people can be useful at times.

But doing everything myself I find it easier in terms of bringing everything together from the initial vision I had when a song or project is started to the final result. Granted, I don't have anyone else to bounce ideas around with, but overall I do enjoy having the final say in what the music turns out to be. A unilateral vision is always better then trying to bring multiple ideas to mesh as one, in my personal opinion.

7.You also have 2 other solo projects, how this the music of 'Nordicwinter' differ from your other projects?

I do still enjoy multiple styles of music, and being able to create everything myself lets me have the freedom to experiment and make different projects that would be harder to do if I had to get members to record them all. 

For example, Gravendusk was created to blend Funeral Doom and Black Metal together, Kalseroth was created for my love of old school Death Metal and also Blackened Death Metal. I also have a Dark Ambient project called 'Umbrarum Tenebrae' and another project in the works right now that is too early to talk about.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric and depressive black metal?

In all honesty, I have only sold a few dozen CD's worldwide, I don't think many people have heard of Nordicwinter. I'm still very small and underground. The few people that do understand what I'm trying to create seem to appreciate the music though. That's all I can really ask for. Music is very personal to me, I write things that I need to 'get out of my system' so to speak, I appreciated the fact that I 'sold out' the first 50 'Desolation' CD's I made. With the re-issue of my 'Desolation' CD by Hypnotic Dirge Records, hopefully more people will have access to get it and enjoy it.

9.Do you have any plans for your musical projects in 2021?

I'm looking forward to the release of the new Nordicwinter's 'Sorrow' CD by Hypnotic Dirge Records in March 2021, beside that I have a couple of other projects planned but too early to get into. 2021 will be a more calm year for Nordicwinter than what 2020 has been. I only plan to release 'Sorrow' this year with Nordicwinter.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

Hopefully continue to grow and expand as a musician. There are still many musical avenues to explore with Nordicwinter. I plan to take a small break and look forward to seeing what new ideas I can bring to the table in the future.

11.What are you currently listening to nowadays?

A mix of different styles of music, Marduk, 1914, Abigail Williams, None, Svartdaudi, Thy Light, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, Afsky, Cult Of Luna, Hooded Menace, Automb and others.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for interviewing me and stay on the lookout for more projects in the coming year.


Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment