Sunday, March 14, 2021

Sothh Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?




My life’s pretty happy these days, and Sothh is reflection back on when it wasn’t. So Sothh is like smudging through my past life in the worst possible times, musically. 




2.Can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you have went for on the recordings?




I would say the style is raw black metal. I like a raw approach and in the moment, not jazz necessarily, but improve. I like to find a riff or rhythm and stick with it. And finding and recording samples are one of my favorite parts of Sothh. 




3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with the music so far?




A lot of my lyrics have to do with pain and loss, things in black metal. Depression. But I also like to write about movies, certain individuals or events in time, both from reality or fiction. 




4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Sothh'?




Sothh is a mathematician from the science fiction novel, Battlefield Earth. 




5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?




I took a photo from the back of a pen and paper RPG dice rolling tower, that’s in my collection. 




6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?




I prefer to work alone. But have thought about recording and sending it out to others to be mastered. People who I have enjoyed their work in the past. 




7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?




I would like to find a label where I would feel at home amongst the label-mates. I have submitted music to a few labels I would be interested to work with. But it’s not a thought that weighs too much on me. I’m just focused on writing a debut full length right now. 




8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal and dark ambient?




Honestly, a lot better than I would have thought, on a global scale. People have said nice things from other countries. I’m very grateful and appreciative to anyone who says things, good or bad. 




9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?




The full length is currently in the works. I want Sothh to continue as a project. Possibly even working with other artists down the road. 




10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?




I have a variety of influences, in and out of the black metal realm. Some of the artists I would name as major influences - Earth, Leviathan, Neptune Towers, Bathory and Pharaoh Sanders. I’m also inspired by movies. I’ve been listening to the new Mork record, Sarcafago and Destroyer 666 a lot lately. 




11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?




At times, in the samples I choose. Pulling specifically from religious cults, but necessarily from the occult. 




12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?




First and foremost, I want to say thank you for this opportunity. And I want to say thank you to my wife and my family and anyone who is supporting Sothh as a project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment