Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Umbra Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Umbra was born from the ashes of another project called Glorification, with other members. Over time I felt that I wasn't doing what I really wanted to express through music, either by difference of opinions and musical tastes. This project lasted a few years and as expected I sent them to hell. As the saying goes, if you want to do something right, do it for yourself. And so in early 2021 Umbra was born, taking full control of all the instruments, compositions and lyrics of how I see myself, the reflection of my own darkness.


2.In February you had released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


As you say I released it on February 21, 2022, the only thing I want to express with Umbra is my own hell and darkness, my visions and aberrations that this dream called life gives me. It is clear that it could be defined as Black Metal, depending on who thinks and listens to it, nowadays there are many worms thinking this if not this if you know what I mean heh, heh. But in my opinion it is Satanic and Blasphemous Black Metal.


3.A lot of your lyrics cover Satanism and Occultism themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?


It is something that awakened in me at a very early age, I have always felt attracted to the black arts, occultism, Luciferism, Satanism, and everything that has to do with what is on the other side of life. I always liked to read and document myself on this subject, for me the devotion to my black father is everything, without him I would not be doing this, it is the black flame that guides me through this dark path.


4.You also cover Anti Christianity themes lyrically, how would you describe your hatred for this religion?


I hate Christians as much as I hate Jews and Islamists, for me they are the same shit with different smell, copies of each other, but the result is always the same, to have people lobotomized to continue to endure in time thanks to so many sheep, I do not mean that I am not a spiritual person, which I am, but I choose my own way. Christianity has done a lot of damage all over the world, but much more in Europe, a lot of wisdom and traditions have been lost or adulterated thanks to them, many much older religions in connection with nature and mother earth were razed by them, imposing Christianity and destroying the true European roots. For this kind of things they will always have my contempt.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Umbra'?


I want to express my own Darkness with my music, so the name of the band had to go hand in hand with my music. Umbra means shadow in Latin, it seemed like a good name to reflect my own Darkness and show my own hell.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?


The cover is a photo of my black altar, where I perform my rituals and take inspiration, I wanted it to be the cover of the EP because it symbolizes everything I want to express with my work, I was also lucky to have the help of Zare Inferno, a professional photographer who took the cover photos apart from my own, a great devotee of black arts and Black Metal.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself but have played with a full band before, do you feel you are able to accomplish more solo?


Yes, I record all the instruments and I also mix and master. I have been in several bands, but as I told you in a previous question, I didn't feel that we were doing things right, too many people giving their opinion and at the same time contributing very little, in the end the bands are of one or two people who are in charge of doing everything and that eventually wears out and frustrates, or at least me, apart from the fact that everyone has their own way of seeing things and doing them. Today I see myself capable of doing this job on my own and express 100% of my vision.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looing for a label or have received any interest?


Yes, there are several proposals for the next work that I will soon have finished, I have spoken with several labels and there is interest in the next releases, at the moment I'm shuffling offers, we'll see what happens in the coming months. For now I want to keep promoting the EP and reach as many people as possible and spread my blasphemy.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


Within the black circle it has been very well accepted, but I still have a lot of work ahead of me. It is not easy to move everything alone, but little by little the fruits are being harvested.


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


At the moment the idea I have is to release a new EP and start working on my first full length, print some t-shirts, etc etc. In the future I would simply like to continue doing the same thing I do now, composing, writing, recording and continue shaping Umbra. The road is open for those who know how to find it.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I still listen to the same bands from 30 years ago, Mercyful Fate, Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory and of course the explosion of Norwegian bands in the early 90s. Although I also listen to bands like Drowning the Light, Satanic Warmaster, Behexen ,Darvaza, Anti to name a few. My favorite genre has always been and will always be Black Metal although I must admit that classical music like Richard Wagner and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky inspire me a lot.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 


Thank you for the interview and the support received, they have been very interesting questions. Greetings to the readers and stay tuned for the next release that is coming soon. Thanks for your interest in UMBRA.

Hail Satan!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment