Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Altari Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Altari was created in and around 2014. I had been a member of another Black Metal band called Abominor for about 6 years at that point, where the main goal was to create a very blasphemous and heavy music. I had written some riffs that I could never use in that band and thought I should hold on to them. A sort of pre-Altari band emerged between me, the drummer and guitarist of Abominor, where we wanted to explore some other aspects of Black Metal and challenge ourselves in creating music. That is when I knew I could do something with the earlier stuff I wrote. Altari was then an on and off project for me until I recorded the album.


2.In April you have a new album coming out, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

I never really thought much about any sort of direction I was taking the album. It came very naturally to me, but of course very slow as I had other projects to focus on. I've always listened a lot to the old classics, be it rock and roll or metal. I found that the overall sound I wanted to create was to try and emulate that old class feel, which I may or may not have achieved. Most of it is derived from playing with some of my contemporaries here in Iceland, which has its roots firmly placed in the avant-garde, orthodox style and lastly the 80's and 90's Black Metal. So I guess you could say I just put everything in a small cauldron and worked my way from there.  


3.The band worked on the new album for 9 years, can you tell us a little bit more about the time and effort that you put into this recording?

It took me quite a long time to see that I had an album in my hands. I worked when I could, when I had the inspiration and as I got better at recording demos. It wasn't until spring 2020 that I finally could sit down and put everything together, as I did that the album was very fast paced. The lyrics were already written and I spent many sleepless nights writing about things I had to face and researching old writings from Iceland.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?

Most of the subjects I write about come from my own experiences and choices I've made throughout my life. It can vary from dealing with my past substance abuse, heartbreak and overall feeling of resentment or other things. That underlying narrative takes place in the form of creating settings and stories that are inspired from the native tales that we as Icelanders grow up with. The choice to sing it in Icelandic was a decision that Altari found fitting, trying to honor the old texts.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Altari'?

There is no meaning. It wasn't taken and it was a name we liked.

 

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

The artwork is done by our guitarist K.R Guðmundsson. It is his experiment in using colours in a formless way to try and create forms. The overall artwork was done by him when Fagradalsfjall erupted a few years ago so it may be he took some inspiration from that event and it fueled this painting in a way.

 

7.Has the band done any live shows or open to the idea?

Not yet, we have Ascension coming up in May and we are very open to the idea to tour the album.


8.The new album is coming out on 'Svart Records', how did you get in contact with this label?

It was chance luck on my part. A very dear friend was working at Roadburn and happened to both know and to be working in the next booth from Tomi at Svart Records. I had just been in contact with her asking how she was, which she replied with having talked with Tomi. I instantly wanted her to introduce Altari to him.

 

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

It seems to me to be positive, I can't say much as there isn't any data to rely on. I hope that people will enjoy the record either way.

 

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

I don't really like to try and see anything related with the future of the band. Right now I am only focused on finishing up some work on a couple of songs. Maybe heavier, more guitars, who knows really.

 

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

On an instrumental level I can safely say that both of the guitarists in Sinmara have had a huge impact on my playing level throughout the years that I've known them. Being able to see those two guys play made me want to be a better guitarist and look at music from a whole other perspective.

To name a few though: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Blue Öyster Cult, Sinmara, Blut Aus Nord, Ulver.

These days I'm really into Aurora. Have been listening to her albums for a number of years now and it amazes me what an extraordinary talent she is. "Monumension" by Enslaved has been on repeat the past month and I look forward to the new Dödheimsgard album.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for the interview and listen to 666° Norður.


Altari on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment