Thursday, June 20, 2024

Blasfeme Interview

 


1. Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?


We have been preparing for some festival shows over the summer and compiling ideas for the next release


2.In July you have a new album coming out, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


Our early work was very heavy, discordant, this is more along the lines of traditional sounding black metal, and in keeping with tradition, we go balls to the wall, man. The record was engineered and recorded by Timothy Vincent whom we worked with on the Fuck Your Starving Planet EP, and mixed and mastered by Ahzari (Beyond Man, Saligia)


3.Most of the band members also have experience playing other types of extreme metal, what impact does this have on the black metal style of 'Basfeme'?


Not a lot, as what we require is specific to our sound, so to play in any other style doesn't fit. Plus it has been a while since I seriously played any metal style other than our own. I doubt I could write a death metal song these days now that I think about it!


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as songwriters over the years?


The lyrical themes are great to get stuck into. This album deals with occultism/satanism, mythology, European medieval history, old gods.. "Czernobog" has lyrics taken from Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" novel, which he himself granted permission for me to use. "Cachtice 1611" and "Black Legion" are both rooted in factual history, and "Ritualistic Exsanguiation" is inspired by horrific folklore.

Over the years we have had to adapt and rewrite, playing as a 2, 3, 4 and 5 piece.. at this point Blasfeme songwriting is second nature, but by its very nature continues to make me push myself as a musician.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Blasfeme'?


Do I really need to spell this one out? 


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


It is the coat of arms from the Hungarian Black Army, the largest mercenary force in Europe during the 1400s. The artist Maciej Kamuda recreated it beautifully.. see if you can spot the differences.. and of course added decapitated heads and burning buildings that adds great depth and story.


7.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?


At Club Orthodox in Czech Republic was an amazing, fantastic evil atmosphere. Supporting MystifieR in our hometown was great, although the venue did fine us...

Our onstage presence is quite visceral. The early years were darkness and madness, these days we are a focused and devastating attack.


8.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?


All in the works, but I can't confirm anything past our appearances at Funeral Fest 28 June and Beermageddon 24 Aug.


9.On  a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I can't really comment about it on a worldwide level.. I tend to only learn about things like that when others tell me! My mate David told me a Swedish kid came into his shop and went nuts over our t-shirts, saying he had made posters of our album covers.. but I still think he was winding me up!


10.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?


Dialgar also plays in Amputated, My Silent Wake and Guillotine Dream.

Striga drums for Nefarious Dusk and Parusight is always writing his own music. Personally my side project differs dramatically from the other guys in that I also write guitar based hip hop.. so our collective output is quite varied to say the least!


11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


We'll keep giving you something a little different each time, with the same energy and savagery.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


It essentially boils down to the music Striga and I grew up on, classic heavy metal, early black metal, some progressive stuff and a love of all things dark and heavy.

I guess recently Finnish black metal has been on my turntable most, and I have been revisiting old Rush albums.


13.Does Occultism play any role in your music?


Absolutely. We are drawn to darkness, and feel comfortable there.


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thanks for taking the time to let me take the time to answer your questions! I hope you enjoy the album. It is dedicated to the memory of our brother Jake, Blasfeme's original vocalist and bassist, and my personal best friend, who passed unexpectedly in December 2022.

Keep flying the flag for Black Metal, and as the old saying goes, smoke weed and worship Satan.


https://www.facebook.com/blasfemeband
https://blasfemeuk.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment