Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Krieg Interview


1. Can you update us with what is going on with Krieg these days?

Right now mostly getting things ready for two small mini tours in October and November and writing bonus tracks for the reissue of both of Krieg's first albums for Candlelight. Putting various logs in various fires for 2011 as well. Lots of plotting.

2. What was the music style that you where pushing for with the new album and how do you feel you achieved what you wanted to accomplish?

I don't really write with any specific style in mind, on the occasions that I've attempted this the songs mostly come out sounding flat and contrived. I just wanted to create something that was honest to the evolution of Krieg and I feel that this has been achieved well. Mostly having a large break allowed me more time to figure out equipment and sound manipulation differently than previous crimes.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you have explored with the new album?

The whole record has a loose theme of past/present/future live tragedy and how they manifest emotionally, spiritually and, physically. A bleak vision of a life probably wasted. Real upbeat kind of shit.

4. The new album came out on Candlelight Records, what made you decide to pick this label for the new release?

In 2008 I sent out a batch of promos to labels. Candlelight responded and we began from there. I wanted a label that would be able to support how I felt Krieg should operate at that point in it's life. Thus far I'm very pleased with this cooperation.

5. Krieg took a long hiatus for a couple of years, what made you decide to reform this band after all these years and put out new Krieg releases?

I've been a part of many bands, projects etc for over fifteen years now but nothing is as creatively satisfying as Krieg. It's sort of the glue that (barely) holds me together. The first step was to take it live again with the initial mission to step away from twenty minute confrontation performances and try full forty five (or more) minute performances. After this worked out I revisited song ideas I'd been working on since 2005 and went from there.

6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far since reuniting?

Earlier in September we played with Nightbringer and Profanatica in Clifton, NJ. As I am a huge fan of Profanatica this was definitely the high point for me playing live since reactivation. Also Providence, Rhode Island in 2009 was really great. Excellent crowd, good sound, very well put together. Not something I'm entirely used to with American shows.

7. What are some of the touring plans for the new album?

Mini tour for the US record release with label mates Woe for the east coast in October. Right now we're setting up a similar venture for the west coast with Noctuary for November. After that I've talked with people for some one off gigs and perhaps a return to Europe in 2011.

8. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?

I won't know until I'm in the middle of recording them. Concepts and skeletons I have now could be completely rebuilt or erased and I don't have any real plans to go back into the studio until late 2011 or early 2012.

9. How has the reception been to your newer music by those that have heard it so far?

Generally positive. Some puzzling comparisons. Definitely the best response since "The Black House" was released for anything Krieg has recorded.

10. Any final words or thoughts before we close this interview?

The album will be released in North America October 26th. I still have lots of other things in the pipeline as well. Cheers for the support.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment