- Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?Sayer is a one man Black Metal/Post-Rock project I started on August 19th 2012.2. How would you describe your musical sound?Its a combination of improvised heavily effected guitar with mostly Black Metal style drumming and some synths thrown in for good measure. My style owes as much to drone based music and Frank Zappa's extended guitar solos as it does to Black Metal.
- 3. What are some of the messages that you put in your music?I am a vaguely spiritual person who fancies transcendent experiences, this project is meant to convey that aspect of my personality.4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?I was thinking something along the lines of sooth-sayer or truth-sayer. Sayer is more concise, memorable and lends itself to being yelled at concerts.5. Has the band had any oppurtunities to do any shows or is this strictly a studio project?Since its just me and I started the project this week, I haven't taken it live yet. If I could find another guitar player that I jelled with I would love to take the project live.
- 6. The music is all instrumental, are there any plans on using vocals in the future?I suck at writing lyrics, so it will be an instrumental project unless the right singer happens along.
- 7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label and if so what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for your music?It would be nice to be on a small independent label. I'd love to do some splits.
- 8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?I have gotten positive feedback from anyone I've played the demo for. I imagine that traditionalists probably won't like it as much as fans of modernized Black Metal.
9. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this full time?
- I am a member of :and a yet to be named grindcore/thrashcore band.
- 10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?I want to expand on the ideas I have presented in the demo. Long songs, transcendent vibe, fast drumming etc... I really have no idea what form the new music will take or who I will collaborate with.
- 11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?For this project Sonic Youth, Earth, Ride, Slowdive, Wolves in The Throne Room, Deafheaven are all in there somewhere. I'm primarily rocking out to Ramlord, Infected Womb, Napalm Death, Agoraphobic Nosebleed and Pig Destroyer.
- 12. Does Occultism play any role in your music?I've spent a good chunk of my life reading up on the major religions, their many offshoots, and people like Aleister Crowley. I tend to lean more toward guys like Terence McKenna and Jan Irvin than straight up occultists/spiritualists. But, I am not a follower of any particular creed or ethos.
- 13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?I love stand up comedy and am a frequent listener of Joe Rogan and Duncan Trussel's podcasts. I watch combat sports, go to the gym, eat good food and hang out with my girlfriend. I work as a homeless outreach worker, which in its own way provides a lot of inspiration for my music .
- 14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?Thanks for the opportunity to be interviewed. If anyone wants to collaborate or ask any questions shoot me an firstname.lastname@example.org