Monday, February 2, 2015

Odota Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?
Hi there.
Right now I’m working on setting up some dates for live shows this spring and new material is already in works as well, planning to release something this year too.

2.In December, you had released an album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
It sounds just the way I wanted it to sound. Probably somewhat raw but not too undergroundish. To me it even feels a bit poppish at some moments, yet clearly it’s not too radio-friendly. I’m probably too involved with this album to be able to describe the sound accurately.

3.You have been a part of a decent amount of bands and musical projects over the years, what are some of the things you bring out with this project that you where not able to bring out with the other ones?
Most likely these would be the black-metal ideas that I haven’t been able to realize in other bands-projects. Been thinking for years about mixing the black metal and electronic stuff in the way it would sound right to myself. And now there’s also a hints of psychedelia and some other ingredients too.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
Wild West with all it’s components – marshals, outlaws, gallows, brothels, gunmen, you name it.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Odota'?
This word, “odota”, means “wait” in Finnish. I like the Finnish language a lot and been wanting to use this too for a long time now.  No specific meaning behind it, but it’s more of how it sounds and looks to me
in the context of this project. Maybe it’s a wishful thinking, but to me this name sounds like it could be related to Wild West somehow, although there’s no connection whatsoever.

6.With this project you record everything by yourself, do you feel this gives you a lot more room to be creative with your musical sound?
Oh yes, definitely. I do whatever the hell I want here. I just hope that I’d be able to dig deeper with every new release, to be able to evolve.

7.Currently you are unsigned, have you received any label interest?
Not yet. Not worrying about it too much either, cause if needed I can manage the releasing side on my own, under my small label named Talk Left-Handed. But I’d definitely be happy about some co-operation ideas.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and doom metal?
So far it’s been good, as much as I have heard and read.

9.What is going on with some of the other musical projects you are a part off these days?
At this very moment I’m working on finalizing the EP with my electronic (and more or less poppish) project Hjem. This is a co-work with a singer Leen Toome from Estonian electro-punk band Electrobation. We just recently had yet another recording session and hopefully the EP will be done and out in the late February or early March. Then there’s the Blood Pavilion, an electronic/industrial/down-tempo output. Playing some live shows with it and working on the new material. Last September I released an EP “Horriru”, which is the third release of BP. I already have some new material done and working on more, plan is to have
an album or EP released later this year. Recently haven’t had too much time for my techno project Skull Trading, but I hope to work on it in the fall. And then there’s some more stuff and ideas that are waiting for the right time to come.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
Just going with my ideas, wherever they might take me.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Surely all the music I’ve done have been influenced by most of the stuff I like. I have periods of time when I tend to listen to one band (or one genre) a lot. For example, at winter I seem to go with the metal or drone mostly, bands like Lord Mantis, Fyrnask, Portal, Terra Tenebrosa, Black Boned Angel, KTL, Altair Temple, Old Man Gloom, Lumbar etc.  At spring and summer I’m mostly headed towards electronic stuff like The Young Gods (one of my favourite bands), Alva Noto, Ancient Methods, Ben Frost, Burial, Holy Other, Maya Jane Coles, Lulu Rouge, Massive Attack and so on.  And in between there’s also a lot of different stuff like Anatomy of Habit, Wovenhand, Get Your Gun, Tricky, Cubanate etc etc etc. s
Well, this is quite a long list now , haha. Shortly – I’m mostly into metal, industrial, darker country, techno, house, ambient, drone, darker drum’n’bass and noise.

12.How would you describe the metal scene in your home country of Estonia?
It’s alive and kicking. There was some metalcore craze going on some years ago, but that seems to be mostly forgotten now. Most notable metal-bands here are probably the pagan-metal band Tharaphita, folk-metal quartet Metsatöll, death metal group Aghor, industrial-metal band Pedigree and of course my previous band Talbot, the duo of doom.



13.What are some of your non musical interests?
Cars. Then cars. And then cars.  I’m all out into kustom kulture, hotrods, kustoms, early lowriders, vans, etc. Some original classics too but I enjoy ‘em more with some amount of modifications. Basically more or less anything that’s pre-’90 and can be considered at least a “young classic”.

I like cats too.


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
All the best to everyone and hopefully meet you at the show somewhere in the future.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment