Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Kommodus Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Kommodus is the bitter catharsis and dark ancient reveries of the Infernal Emperor – Lepidus Plague. Raw Black Metal from Australia.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the demo?

Filth.



3.Can you tell us about some of the lyrical topics and subjects you covered on the demo?

The ancient world, my own ancestry and bloodline, and the destruction of humanity and self.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Kommodus'?

A stylised spelling of the Roman Emperor – Commodus. A corrupted, morally bereft and megalomaniacal dictator. It seemed a fitting title for a project ostensibly concerned with the darker elements of the Roman Empire and Roman lineage.



5.On the demo, you recorded everything by yourself, do you feel this gives your more room to be creative with your musical style?

I didn’t play drums on the recordings, session hammering was performed by T.R.J. However, having handled everything else I believe that having a solo project allows you to make more unique and passionate music, as no compromises are made with other artists (not very insightful I know). I also believe having the limitations of yourself makes things interesting, as I’ve always been in bands previously with seriously proficient and skilled musicians – which I am not.



6.The demo was released on 'Lupine Lineage Records', can you tell us a little bit more about the label?

This is a banner for me to release my own music under. At this stage I want to control everything.



7.On the demo you had also done a cover of Burzum's ‘War', what was the decision behind doing your own version of this song?

It’s a classic that I’ve wanted to learn for a long time, so I recorded a version for the demo. It’s descriptions of wintery battlegrounds and bloodied dying soldiers are congruous with the lyrics and subject matter of the rest of the release.



8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

Well it hasn’t reached many yet, but it seems to be mostly positive.



9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I just want to continue creating, and using Kommodus as a vessel to express my frustrations, hatred and visions of a more ideal world.



10.What are some of the bands or musicals styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? Black Metal’s 90’s Scandinavian pioneers, Florida Death Metal, Thrash, Hardcore, the list goes on. I try to keep Kommodus incredibly insular and to not be too conscious of influence, though it is at times inevitable, I’ve been listening to Leviathan, Judas Iscariot and Byyrth lately. USBM! .



11.How would you describe your views on Paganism?

I am an atheist. However Paganism, as well as the Abrahamic religions and other spiritual beliefs, all have iconography and tales which I find to be creatively inspiring to varying degrees. Roman paganism as well as the Rome creation myth are a central focal point of Kommodus.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Keep on fighting the world.

Bandcamp
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment