ORTUS was formed as a nameless solo-project while the year of 2013 was passing away and was/is always meant to be underground.
It´s absolutely non-religious and non-political - ORTUS represents all negative emotions that come from our hearts and spirits as it represents the nightside of the madness called “life”.
2. Recently you have released an ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
The music is oldschool and atmospheric, very influenced by Scandinavian Black Metal. It has a raw and dark but also melancholic spirit – an equilibrium of rawness and epic melancholy. On this release we´ve used lots of tragic melodies to the atmospheric riffs and acoustic guitars. Also in one track we added some clean vocals. One thing is clear – we have our own sound.
3. The musical project has been around since 2013 but you waited until this year to release any music, can you tell us a little bit more about the earlier years?
There´s not too much to say about what would be important for nowadays. Before the co-operation with Nihil started most time I´ve been creating some stuff alone and for myself, searching for other people who share my passion, thoughts and visions.
The moment when he entered the project in early 2015 was something like the true birth of ORTUS, and the material for this release and also some for later ones had been worked out in around two years. Everything that has been before doesn´t matter anymore.
Nihil by his own started KLINGSOR and the demos “Erwachen” and “Realm of the Shades” were released until now. Check it out!
4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
All pieces on “Where Shadows Gather” are about death, just in different ways, except the track “Nocturne” which is about the spirit of night.
Looking to the horizon of storms to come I can say that the lyrics are more personal and (will) contain more of my own memories to those sorrowful times I was and am going through despair and madness.
5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ortus'?
The word comes from the latin language and has more than one meaning. We work with the subjects “origin”, “rise”, and “grow” and feel it in a very natural and archaic way – our roots, the wish and fight to rise and at least to grow all fucking life long. “Ortus” describes the path from the cradle to the grave in a special dark romantic way. Our deep extreme emotions and soul experiences finally brought it into Black Metal, and that´s it. Nothing more and nothing less.
6. Currently there is only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding the line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?
Actually we prefer to remain as a duo. But we want to expand the line up for some live appearances in the future.
It´s hard to find people in the area where we´re living for a Black Metal-band - people with true devotion and passion, and not any stupid motherfuckers that just want to play in a band!
For my own i´d be open for things that might happen if we would find some people we can and would like to work with – but Nihil and me always will be the core behind the band.
7. The ep was released on physical format by 'Worship Tapes', how did you get in contact with this label?
We go in touch with the label through a friend of Nihil as we decided to release a small limited tape version of the release. So we thought “what would be better than WORSHIP TAPES for this?” The name is truly program! We just sent a few mails and that´s it.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
The vast mojority´s first reaction was very positive so far.
9. What is going on with the guitar players other musical project?
Actually his solo-project KLINGSOR is on hold in cause of being focused on ORTUS completely. But I know he wants to release an album during the next years.
10. When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
There are lots of plans for further releases including another EP, set for the end of this year, followed by the first full-lengh.
I guess, the newer stuff is more traditional and less melodic, but some of the most epic and also melancholic material we created so far.
Time will tell more…
11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I, personally, was inspired by Scandinavian 90´s Black Metal back when I started to do music. But today´s main influences in our music are emotions. All in all dark and intense emotions to experiences bound to everlasting grief and total madness.
We like every kind of music that touches our deepest abysses. It doesn´t matter if it´s Black Metal or something else – but I´d say, to my own, that Black Metal is the most intense musical expression to mirror most of the heaviest inner feelings.
I think there´s too much great music and artists in this fucking world at all to figure out just a few.
12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thanks for the interview and beware the darkness to come! Support the true underground! All hail!