Saturday, June 9, 2018

Ascensions Fall Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
1).  Of course. Ascensions Fall is a blackmetal project that I formed in 2014 after leaving a then Death Metal band who I was the drummer for. At the time I didn't know how to play anything but the drums. So I brought a guitar, practiced for 6 months and started writing what has become Spirits Of The Lost, the oldest set list of songs.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that has been presented on the recoridngs you have released so far?
 I'd describe Ascensions Falls sound as an influx of both aggressive and depressive tones. However I write with a lot of influence from both melodic-black metal and melodic-death metal bands so I also refer Ascensions Fall as melodic-black metal as well as those elements are definitely there.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the music?
3).  The lyrical content is built up on depression, solitude, sorrow, Earth and nature itself. Some of my lyrics dig into humanitarian destruction and human extinction.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ascensions Fall'?
4). I was pretty young when I initially began planning Ascensions Fall, so the name was something I accidentally just kind of came up with without an explanation of how or why. Although, on a religious perspective I have been told that there is (or was) an event called Ascensions Day or Day Of Ascension and that Ascensions Fall would be the opposite of this events succession meaning Hell would reign supremacy and dominion. I don't know if this is true, but hey, if it is that's pretty badass


5.Since 2017 you have released a great amount of material, do you spend a great amount of time and effort writing and creating music?
5).  Yes I definitely do. Music is really something I've always done. I couldn't imagine not ever doing music in any way shape or form. Any chance I get I write or record or just generally practice. It's one of things where I'll wake up and I'm straight into it or when I get home from work I head straight to the music room. I'm always writing music anyhow so there is plenty of Ascensions Fall to come!

6.On the albums, you record everything by yourself, would you be open to bringing other musicians into this musical project?
6).  There was a time where I wanted to play a few live shows. It's in the works, trying to find live members and what not. Whether it happens or not I'm not completely sure of. However, there will something new announced soon around the addition of members. Although I do like the freedom of doing everything myself, you have your own sound and style on every instrument and its great to hear all of those styles and sounds pulled together.


7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
7).  The responses I have received have been positive which makes me happy of course! I'm not sure how far or in what places my music has been heard but for the small number of people who do support the project I strongly thank them.

8.Can you tell us a little bit more about your other musical project 'Farrore'?
😎.  Farrore was just a bedroom metal project between myself and a good friend of mine. In my opinion, everything but the music was approached amateurly. It's a dead project now and I doubt anything new will come. As much as I disregard it's existence I somewhat still stand by it as it plays an important role in myself as a musician. I've definitely learnt things from it. However, I have a medieval and folk metal project called Byrhtnoth that I prefer to talk of.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
).  I've never had a vision as to where I will and won't be as a musician in the future. I just love writing music and hope that I keep doing so til I meet my end


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10).  As a young drummer I was hugely influenced by bands like Machine Head, Lamb Of God, Slayer and Opeth (the main ones anyway). But the older I got I dwelled into folk metal and eventually Black Metal. As a musician I'm hugely influenced by those aforementioned bands and Dissection, Immortal, Amon Amarth, Kalmah and nowadays Winterfylleth has definitely played a part in my influential advances as a musician and song writer.


11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11). I definitely like gaming. Whether it's retro or old school. For me old school would the SNES or N64. But those and modern gaming. I also like to mess around and design album arts. I actually designed the album art for the Ascensions Fall demo 'Usvikelig'.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12).  New Ascensions Fall is ready to wash ashore later this year. New things are definitely happening so hang around and get some new tunes! & Thanks for having me for an interview and a review for Spirits Of The Lost. The support is awesome! \m/

Bandcamp
Facebook
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment