Thursday, April 4, 2019

Salix Babylonica Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Yeah, Salix Babylonica started on 2016 when I contacted Atroz, through a common friend who helped us, I explained to him my thoughts and where I focused my lyrics and how I would like to accompany it with doom atmospheres, where melancholy should prevail. He agreed to play the music and we debuted on the Split "Exclamation of Hidden Disorders" in 2017 with six bands from all over the world. Unfortunately Atroz left the project in 2018. Now I continue with a great friend and musician of my country, H12.  I also share other projects him.


2.How would you describe the musical style that you have went for so far on the releases that you have been a part of?

I do not fit into any genre, however, from the beginning the idea was to create a very melancholy atmosphere of doom metal with touches of black metal. I could consider it as simply “melancholy metal”.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?
Undoubtedly depression, anxiety and sensitivity are the topics that prevail in my lyrics. Also the idea of accepting melancholy as a beautiful and necessary part for the idea of creating all kinds of art in a very masochistic but sublime way finally. All my lyrics have their reasons, their experiences, their traumas and inspirations.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Salix Babylonica'?

Salix Babylonica means "weeping willow".
There is a tale in the Bible from which the idea that it is a "tree of laments" is taken. However, I was inspired by the decayed beauty that this tree possessed.  Its form inspires me, makes me identify with it. When I see them I consider them as the strongest sadness in the world that manages to flourish, tired, sore, gloomy but beautiful.
I also explain it in the song "The Willow".

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on your side of the split?

Well, is related to the song "Dead birds of the city", in fact I wanted to put the image of the bird that inspired me to write the theme, but this one looked a lot like the cover "Brave Murder Day" of Katatonia, that's why we decided not to put it.
I took this picture on very sad day where I was going to my classes at university. The bird that appears there was a blackbird crying under the tree.

6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding your line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?


Of course, if any musician is interested in expanding this idea, it would be great. I feel good with my partner H12, I share several projects with him. He is a great musician and I know he would also like the idea of playing live. I feel comfortable with him, I know him well and our sensibility is similar. It is difficult to find people like that and if some day more members join the project I hope they can share a bit of that sensitivity.

7.So far all of your music has been on splits, are there any plans for an ep or full length on the future?

Yes, of course, I dream of releasing a full album of Salix Babylonica. I hope to redo and improve the vocals for the songs that Atroz did in the past, because they are great, and also include the latest works and other songs of which I have lyrics but not music. I need a complete album of Salix Babylonica to be able to die in peace.


8.on a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black and doom metal?

Well, Salix's music is not well known for obvious reasons, we have very few works, we need to continue improving. But the few reactions I've received have been positive despite how small the dissemination. I think it helps us a lot to make splits with bands that have been making art for longer, but I want to have something distinctive about the project for the future, I really hope to do it.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Musically speaking I hope to improve my voice and include music much more inclined to Funeral / Doom, because those environments I feel appropriate for my lyrics.
I want to continue creating songs and venting, because I have a lot to shout. I want to continue with my friend and definitely create a full-length album.
For now I am busy completing my thesis and studying various types of dance. But once I feel more stable I want to dedicate myself much more to music, because it is the most important art in my life, it is my life.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Oh, this is difficult, because when I start talking about music I can’t stop.
I will try not to elaborate too much on the subject. I love many musical styles, from classical and neoclassical music, international folklore, then there is metal and most of its subgenres, I am also a lover of synth music, synth-pop, dark-synth, and also of post-punk, minimal-wave, power electronics, cold-wave, and a lot of "waves" ...
I also like neo-folk, electronic, industrial, trip hop, and more. I love tango, too much, and most of the sad music created from the 50's until now. I always like to investigate melancholic composers or those who have suffered disorders, this is something fascinating for me.
As for the artists that I have as personal influence are Nick Cave, David Gold, Chelsea Wolfe, Meiko Kaji, Billie Holiday, Rezső Seress, Nina Simone, Roman Sidorov, Ólafur Arnalds ... and others.
Actually, the bands I love most in my life are Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Agalloch, Nargaroth, Woods of Ypres, Tiamat, Katatonia, Anathema, Archive, Canaan, Sundown, Hypocrisy, Sargeist, Thy Light,  Total Death, Evadne, Candlemass, Rapture, Psychonaut 4, Joy Division, Amesoeurs, Minuit Machine, Культура Курения, Tropic of Cancer ... and many more.
The music of Salix Babylonica has inspirations from bands like Woods of Ypres, Swallow the Sun, Wine from Tears, Novembers Doom, Totalselfhatred, Funeral Tears, 1000 Funerals and Forest of Shadows, of course we don´t have the same sound, but they are some inspirations.
So, I listen a lot of styles… too many genres. Additionaly I listen a lot of Arabic and Indian music because of the dance I study. Like you see, metal (especially doom metal) is something fundamental in my life, it is the subgenre with which I identify myself, but I listen to many things and I love what I hear. I love being a music lover and have the ability to enjoy so many genres and I still have open mind for any type of music that can give off and shake up feelings on me.

11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?

No, it isn't. This is just about free feelings.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Yes, I want to deeply thank the comrades who have managed to make Salix a reality: Atroz and H12, without them there would not be Salix Babylonica. Also thanks to Absinthropy for their openness and patience to make this Split, I hope you like it.  Thanks also to Rebecca of Clobber Records.
Thanks to the musicians and artists who inspire me, they are my best company. And finally thanks to melancholy, which allows me to create and let me see its most sublime side.
Sadness is not just to let yourself die, it helps you create something honest, because it’s the most sincere and raw feeling that exists. So if you really feel it, let your being begin to create.

I thank you for the interview.

A. Nostalgie

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment