Friday, August 5, 2022

Ends Embrace Interview

 



1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the solo project these days?




Right now I am working on writing for a few upcoming releases to end the year going into next year as well. I’m also in the process of getting a few musicians together to pull off some live shows in the future. I was approached by a touring band to open for them in late September, if that happens then I will make a few announcements online about it.



2.In the last couple of years you have released a decent amount of music, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?




When I first started writing for the first  EP I wanted to go for a more old school black metal sound with the song Gravedigger. Then as the writing process for the other 3 songs went on, I wanted to add some Death Metal influences as well.



3.A lot of your lyrics cover the lore and culture of the Navajo and Indigenous people of North America, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in your culture's lore and history?




When I was growing up I didn’t know much about my own culture because I grew up going to a baptist church then jumped around to different congregations (Jehovah witness, etc.) So as I got older I wanted to learn more about my culture and heritage. When Ends started I gravitated more to my own culture for lyrical inspiration because of my experiences in said congregations. On the first EP the first 3 tracks were more focused on the Skinwalker lore and Track 4 introduced lyrics of the horrors that organized religion had on our culture.

4.Lyrically you also have covered the horrors of Christianity and organized religion, can you tell us a little bit more about the negative experiences you have experienced with these people?




A majority of the negative experiences with people who are followers of that faith are usually the first to try and damn you to hell for not believing in their “loving religion”. They’ll try to ask you to drop your beliefs/ culture to join them with promises of gods love and eternal life in heaven. Then they turn around and are nothing but hypocrites the first chance they get if it goes against what’s in their Bible. Sometimes you can’t reason with them either and have a civil conversation with them about why you have your own individual beliefs.



5.You also have shared splits and been on compilations with anti fascist and rabm bands, would you consider your political leanings as being more towards the left?




-I would say they are, I grew up listening to a lot of punk and most of the bands I listened to had an influence on that. But, with Ends I don’t really write about anything political when I think about it. 




6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ends Embrace’?




Embracing the end of everything, basically wiping out everything and starting over again without the influence if organized religion. The name was inspired by seeing how society was acting when the pandemic hit back in 2020, especially with how religious groups were exploiting the hell out of it.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the full length?




The artwork was by the amazing artists Tyson Tsosie (R.I.P), when I approached him I gave him a brief description of what I wanted. Then when I got it back I was just blown away because the execution was perfect. But, I wanted an album cover that was going to be eye catching and attract the listeners attention. I always loved the imagery of wolves as well and just wanted something that screamed aggression.



7.On the recordings you have put out so far you have worked solo, are you open to working with other musicians on the studio recordings?




I’m open to working with other musicians and have been approached by members in existing  bands about doing guest work on future releases. But I think it’s important to work with other musicians because you could both learn from that experience.



8.According to the  facebook page you are looking for a drummer for live shows, what can we expect from the stage presence once you finally hit the stage?




I want it to go off like an explosion, I want what the band is doing onstage to drive the audience wild and let their aggression out. But I would also want it to inspire other indigenous people to start their own Metal project.



9.Earlier this year 'Heretical Records' released your full length on cassette, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?




Heretical Records in an independent label from Portland, Oregon that approached me not to long after the Requiem for Death EP was out and wanted to put out my future release. The label also works with other bands Lamashtus and Unholy Crown which are both great projects as well.



10.A few months back you where also a part of a split, can you tell us a little bit more about the bands or musical projects you shared this recording with?




Yes, the bands who were featured on the the split were Pungent Shroud, Tumultuous Ruin and Darkgem which was released on Folkvangr Records (US) and Born to Lose (UK). All the bands on that split were great to work with, I even did a guest vocal spot on the Pungent Shroud song Death Rattle. Tumultuous Ruin has been one of my favorite RABM bands and continues to release great music. The song by Darkgem was the perfect way to end and tie up that split in my opinion and we were all very happy with the finished project at the end of it.



11.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?




The overall reaction to Ends Embrace has been quite positive so far, I even got a message the other day from a listener who said they were inspired to start their own black metal project because of my music.



12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?




I would like to continue doing this project for as long as possible until I’m done telling the stories I want to write and tell. But maybe sometime in the future I would like to do a run of live shows and possibly get into producing as well, but we’ll see what happens none of this is written in stone.



13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?




My musical influences are all over the place and a list of the bands are: Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, WASP, Belphagor, Hellripper, Motörhead, Venom, Celtic Frost, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, King Diamond, Necrophibic. What I’m listening to today: Stake Driver, Xenomorph 8472 (the new album was amazing), Fomalhaut, Drugoth, Hulder, Pyromancy, Bring Forth The Exodus, Tumultuous Ruin, Alliance, and Homeland



14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?




Be on the lookout for new music that I will be putting out in the near future, I have some great bands that I will be doing some splits with and guest work on as well. Keep supporting the Indigenous Black Metal scene because there are a ton of upcoming and well established bands out there. Lastly, check out the latest singles I put out ‘Beneath the Earth’ and ‘New World’.


2 comments: