Wednesday, March 6, 2024

A Somber Funeral Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


Yes, it starts end of summer of 2023. I've started to play drums by BLACK AEONS, where I met the Chris.

We came shortly together and I was looking for a singer for a project (at the time without name).

The songwriting and the concept was finished and so I asked him to join the recording with the vocals.

The advantage was that in addition to singing, he can also play bass and has a good ear for synths.

I really didn't believe he would agree, but his answer was short: Let's do this thing together then.


2.You have your first full length coming out in March, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


Well, as all can hear it is black metal and it was planed to be black metal. As basic genre.

I didn't want to do it the traditional way (like the second wave of black metal). I experimented a bit with my guitar…

When you ask me about the music style, I can only say “Discouraged Ones” by KATATIONIA had a big impact on me over the last 15 years,

so I think this album was the inspiration for “Summertime Sorrow” music concept. At least I can say it so, after I heard the final mix 😊


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


I am from Serbia and I spend my school and study time in this land, logical. 

At this time I was very lazy to read our poetry, but there are few poems that remain in my memory.

As I read the some odes (for example by the poet Vladislav Petković Dis) I’ve notice this all about death, depression, melancholy, transmigration of souls…

That gave me inspiration to write the lyrics about the odes. I wrote the texts and the Chris re-wrote it for singing.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'A Somber Funeral'?


Very good question 😊 It was supposed to be called A SUMMER FUNERAL and as I give this to our designer to do the logo,

he has notice this “SUMMER” and asked me if that was a typo and should perhaps be called "A SOMBER FUNERAL".

So I say do the SOMBER!


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The cover concept should be founded on the lyrics from “Mothers Cry”. So a mother lost her child and that should be depicted at some way.

But I’ve found this cover by the “Artworks For Sale” and I said, this will be ours and point! 

The designer has done some changes of the colors, add the band logo and the skulls with frame.

And I’ve looked the finished cover and so the decision has been made, the album will be called “Summertime Sorrow”


6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding the line up or duo?


At the moment we are duo and we will stay duo… At the moment. 

Later I am sure, we will working to do at least one exclusive show in the future!


7.The new album is going to be released on 'Silent Watcher Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


Yes, the label is my own baby founded 2020 during the corona pandemic and all the lockdown sh...

We have done some albums but also re-releases on vinyl for bands like INFEST, BANE, DEFECTED DECAY.

I wanted to apply to other labels but I know that can take a while and you never know if you'll get an answer and we wanted to release the album soon.

And then I said we will make it as own production!


8.On  a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


According to the orders on our Bandcamp I think good for now. We have also received till now very positive mails from our supporters.

And I am very thankful for each one of them.

We are also happy about every like, comment, dislike, criticism… 


9.What is going on with 'Black Aeons' these days?


The Chris is doing the final recordings of the vocals for the album. Almost ready to be mixed and mastered.

Also, the final album-artwork is finished. We cant wait to share it 😊

And yeah… we practice for the show after the album is released!


10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


Well, I have new ideas for an EP… mabye end of the year, let’s see!


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Basically bands like CULT OF FIRE or UADA have influence the sound album, at the core.

Oh, I am hyped by the new ENTERPRISE EARTH album and the Chris, I think, is still excised about the last release of SULPHUR AEON 😊


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Yes, as I said always: Support the underground…And thank you !!!


www.asomberfuneral.bandcamp.com
www.instagram.com/a_somber_funeral_official
www.facebook.com/asomberfuneral
https://open.spotify.com/intl-pt/artist/1VRxaRCI5iqSnYffcKe0Yw?si=d907H3jlQ-maBWErG_1S_A




No comments:

Post a Comment