Monday, December 23, 2013
Cold Crypt Interview
1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
1. Cold Crypt is a one man metal project that concentrates more on the atmospheric side of black metal rather than the fast paced-hail Satan side, its much more industrial now then it was in the beginning and in my opinion far more haunting.
2.How would you describe the musical sound that has been present on all of the recordings that you have put out so far?
2. Each release has been quite unique in its own way really, the first release (Devil May Scream) was a very standard style of black metal and the following album (Darkest Symphonies) kind of expanded on that with more synth and vocal experimenting.
the split album and the latest release (Bearing The Light) are the best of what the project has to offer so far, it would be a waste of time trying to describe it, you'll just have to listen to it and find out for yourself.
3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical content of the music?
3. The lyrics have always been about madness, negative emotions and exposing faith in a heaven as a fairytale fantasy, Bearing The Light is a concept album meant to remind people of the witch hunts in religious history and hopefully shed light on the madness of the church.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Cold Crypt?
4. Actually in the beginning the project was called Cold Veins, I just wanted a name that no one else had used and was able to reflect the feel of the music, but one day I was stuck in traffic next to one of the many old graveyards near my home and by just staring out the window at all those graves the name Cold Crypt entered my mind, it sounded so much more morbid and chilling then the original name so I changed it.
5.With this musical project you work all solo, do you have this gives you more room to be creative?
5. To be honest I just hate relying on other people for things, they would just slow me down and try to change the music in a way that seems shitty and over used by others, that's why I use a drum machine half of the time because I don't want to have any one else in on this project. Half of the songs in Cold Crypt have real drums played by me and the other half programmed drums.
6.A few months back you put out a split album with Smorg, what are your thoughts on the other musical project that that was involved?
6. Smorg is a great band, it has punk, grindcore and black metal all rolled into one. The style has become a lot more like grindcore these days and in my opinion the quality of the music is improving with each release, some people seem to pick holes in the crusted rehearsal like quality of the recording they do but I think that just makes them sound more old school so hopefully they wont change that.
7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
7. So far the response has been pretty positive actually as far as I can tell there has been only had one bad review at this time so that's good enough for me.
8.What is going on with your other musical project these days?
8. Marahkain has got a lot in the pipeline, we have a split album, a single and a full length album all lined up, we are also preparing to try a new sound but its just trying to find time to do it that's the problem, I'm always busy and so is Khalvst Ov Mhurn.
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
9. Well I'm currently working on a new and more mechanized album called Utter Contempt For Life which will hopefully be released late 2014, the album artwork has unfortunately already leaked on to the fucking internet so its there for anyone who's interested.
10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. The bands that influence me the most are Fear Factory, Xasthur, The Berzerker, Nosvrolok, Leviathan and Striborg. The album that actually pushed me to try and make my own music was Leviathans Tentacles of Whorror. Right now I'm listening to Lunar Auroras album Hoagascht.
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
11. well I've recently become a father so that takes up most of my time but whenever its not family or music I just play video games.
12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
12. yeah if you like a band then buy a CD, don't be a prick and go looking for torrents.