Thursday, December 26, 2013

Esotis Interview


1.Can you give us an introduction to the musical project?
I guess and hope that listening to my first album could say enough about this project.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is present on your recordings?
Waves of distorted guitars layered with synth. Atmospheric and “spatial”.

3.Your lyrics cover cosmos and space themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interests in these topics?
I don’t really have lyrics : there are only screams. I use my voice as an instrument, another layer of sound to express feelings… Watching a sky full of stars on a clear night has always been an intense and personal experiment for me. In fact, I can’t really express myself with words about cosmos and space... That’s why I’m trying to do it through music. It is a mix of a deep loneliness feeling but, at the same time, being very confident.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Esotis'?
ESOTIS means Eternal Silence Of These Infinite Spaces. It comes from the famous words of Blaise Pascal : “The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me ”… But with one difference : it doesn’t frighten me, it makes me confident.

5.Currently this project is all solo, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work by yourself?
Who knows what could happen… but right now, I prefer to keep it solo.

6.The album came out on Katabaz Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Katabaz Records is a great netlabel made by (and for) a bunch of friends. You should check other artists on it : a lot of different styles but always with mood, atmosphere and feelings (http://katabazrecords.bandcamp.com)

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?
Well, worldwide is a big word… But I’m pretty surprise : in one week I got some pretty nice compliments and some people shows me good support on facebook and youtube. I’m happy with it right now but it is just a start : ESOTIS is born very recently so I still have a lot to do.

8.Are you involved with any other musical projects besides 'Esotis'?
Yes but I prefer to keep all of them separate so if you’re ok I wont speak about them.

9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I’ll still continue my way in this style with waves of guitars and deep synth… but I’ll try to add, here and there, some little new sounds.

10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Well, the mix of guitars and synth is inspired by bands like Lustre or Basarabian Hills. However, to be honest, even if I like their music I’m not listening a lot to these bands. In a different style I prefer Summoning which is definitely one of my favorite band when it comes to mix guitars with synth. A part of that, I’m listening to a lot of different music : dark ambient, dungeon synth and movie soundtracks are, at the moment, among my favorites.

11.Does occultism play any role in your music?
No, sorry. I don’t believe in god, occultism, spirits, etc…  I’m only “Trve” to one thing : myself. And it is not easy every days…

12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Art in general : movies, books… I like to draw. I’ve done the artwork of my album myself. I like to travel as well.

13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks for your interview and review. Keep on supporting ESOTIS on bandcamp, facebook, youtube or whatever : it is so nice to see people liking a project which is important to me !

No comments:

Post a Comment