Sunday, May 10, 2015

Merda Mundi Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?
I am trying to record a specific EP (or album) which would contain reworked material which was planned to be released under the name of my unfortunately dead band 'Deviant Messiah'. Before we split, the album was almost ready and since the material is a pretty great one, the band agreed to leave it to me so I can rework on it and release it for Merda Mundi. As for other new material or split, not really. I have other things on my mind at the moment. Maybe some re-recordings.

2.A few months back you had released a new album,how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
When I started MM, I wanted it to be as raw (in all ways possible) as I felt back then. Nothing changed much except the fact that I know more about sound and production now and 'raw' doesn't mean bad or cheap production. I worked a lot on this album so people can know that, first of all, I do still exist and that I am evolving.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music?
This album is a quarrel with God, as if his son was represented by the album's voice. My own visions of it.

4.So far all of the recordings from the demos all the way up to the new album have been started with Roman numerals, is there a concept that goes with all of these releases?
More like a way to see when MM is coming from. Not really any concept.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Merda Mundi'?
MM is a name which got me into several problems, even though it doesn't concern me personally. People (within the extreme metal scene, listeners & labels, etc) refused to listen to a band which name contains 'Merda'... Yet they don't give a crap about bands like 'Satan's Almighty Penis' or else.
MERDA MUNDI. The shit of the world. The name speaks for itself.
As for the inspiration, same thing : the name speaks for itself. You might add personal dark philosophies but still in a very straight, violent way.

6.With this musical project you record everything by yourself but have worked with musicians on other projects, do you feel you are able to express yourself more personally with the musical project that you have not been able to do with the other ones that you are a part of?
You know I have a lot of projects and bands. Every single one of them is a different way to express myself. MM is a one man band and I will keep it this way, with its same concept, sound, themes. As very personal as it seems, I need to keep it this way. Being alone gives me a certain freedom, but as well as several boundaries which I need to explode myself. It's not only a musical work.

7.Recently you done a cover of an Anaal Nathrakh song, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their tracks?
Eversince the first time I listened to this song, I wanted to be able to play it completely because of its amazing violence, madness and epic melodies. I never liked the sound of their album much, because it removes this epic violence. I wanted to take this song to the level I had in mind it deserves.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to this musical project by fans of black metal?
As far as I know, the people who listened to it and gave me their feedback love it, or love part of it, which I am happy about. Yet, I think it's all personal. Between one's own tastes but as well as interpretations and devotion.

9.What is going on with some of the other musical projects or bands these days that you are a part off?
A lot is happening. 'Sources of I' will soon go on stage & release our first EP / 'Yhdarl' will release soon a big album / 'Imber Luminis' will release a compilation & is working on the next album / 'Maladie' just released a second album / 'Slow' just released their 4th album / 'COAG' is working on first album & on split material / etc. A lot is happening.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?
Hopefully, I would like to settle down and being able to feed my family out of music (production of bands & studio, mainly). Musically speaking, I won't stop. I think I will just go deeper in everything.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Music doesn't really influence my newer compositions, but I do listen a lot. As of now, a lot of Funeral Doom (Skepticism, Thergothon, Eye of Solitude, Shape of Despair) as well as Black Metal (Judas Iscariot, Antaeus, Dimholt) and non metal stuff (Chopin, Diamanda Galas)

12.How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism?
Very personal and to be kept to myself only.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for your time and patience.
CYFAWS.

Déhà Online
Facebook
Myspace
Official Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment