Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Gergovia Interview

 


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?

Since the release of the album, I'm in full promotion. I receive a lot of solicitations and obviously the album is very appreciated, it's really nice.


2.In August you had released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

It's much more successful, worked and thought out than anything I have done before. I slowed down the tempos a lot in order to reinforce the dark atmospheres, and thanks to this slowing down, the fast parts are in their turn wilder.

There was also a lot of work on the production that I wanted massive and uncompromising, but at the same time I wanted it to stay natural and not overproduced. 

This is the problem with musical data processing, you can easily produce albums, but very quickly sanitized and too cold and soulless.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?

My texts today are more incisive and biting than when I started, they must be read in the second degree. 

GERGOVIA's words have always been identical. 

GERGOVIA defends values, a way of life, I also portray the world today in a dark way as it is.

I got older and my vision of the world grew darker and darker, when I started I needed to express myself brutally and simply, directly, today everything is more complicated and dark.


4.Some of your earlier lyrics also covered Gallic Paganism, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?

Indeed, my first lyrics were inspired by paganism and my Gallics ancestors. They were more raw and uncompromising, they defended a way of life, customs today I widened the horizon so as not to go around in circles.

I does not mean that the words are futile, they are always identity, but in the broad sense of the term.

Identity, culture, values, it's what makes you what you are, what give you a place in this world where reigns the dictatorship of minaurities, the standardization, the americanization of the world.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Gergovia'?

GERGOVIA is a historic landmark at home in Auvergne (a region of France). It's the place where my Gallic ancestors we beat the legions of Cesar.

It's a plateau which dominate the plains in the middle of the magnificent chain of volcanoes. 


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

The cover represents the decay of our world of our values, this cathedral in ruins is the image with the image of the devil in filigree. 


7.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with musicians in other bands, which one do you prefer?

Yes of course, I have been making music for 30 years now, I have participated in many bands and various musical project: Aliénation mentale, Lethean shore, Endless agony, Altaïr ...

It's always fun to play with other musicians but it's also too complicated when everyone is not going in the same direction.

That's why I prefer to be alone, even if it's sometimes complicated to compose alone, if something doesn't work you can only blame yourself.

I like being in my own studio and seeing a song come to life, in a band there will always be someone for whom this riff will not be enough this or not enough that. 

When you are alone you choose it's good or it's not, you keep or you throw. 

This does not prevent you from surrounding yourself with competent musicians who know what they have to do and when they have to do it.


8.You also have had a live line up for this project, what are some of the best shows that you have played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Yes I did a few concert with GERGOVIA, but frankly it's not my thing, we always come back to the same thing: when you're alone everything is simpler and at the same time more complicated.

You have to recruit musicians, rehearse, find lives, take care of management, that's a lot for one man. 

At the same time when you bring your songs to life in front of an audience it's really enjoyable. We can't have it all.


9.The new album was self released but you have worked with labels in the past, are you open to working with another label in the future?

"In Requiem Aeternam" was released on the Wolfmond productions label, a small record company but really dedicated to its bands.

I have already worked with other labels, CCP Records, Occultum productions.


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your newer music by fans of black metal?

You would think that the fans of the first hour would have dropped out but they are not, it's a great honor for me that all these guys have been following me since the first hour and supporting me.

I also think that the fans are evolved at the same time as the black scene, the fans like the cold and primitive brutality of the black metal of the yesteryear and also a more nuanced music which mixes several influences.


11.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?

I don't belong to any bands anymore today.


12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

Frankly I don't know at all, your question is very complicated, music is lived day by day, today I'm releasing my tenth album, maybe there will be ten more maybe it will be the last, I don't know.


13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

80's Thrash and heavy metal, 90's black and death metal. I always listen to these music, I'm an old jerk, I can't find a band that connects me at the moment, or rare exceptions.


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

No nothing special, everything was said in your interview, thank you very much for your support for my humble project. 

Thank you all for your support and black regards!


Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment