Tuesday, June 25, 2013
1. Akaitsuki is a band started in Los Angeles, CA. We have put out an EP, Purpose of the Moon, and currently a new LP is due to be released this summer. I'm Edison, the producer and songwriter.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
2. Our soundscapes incorporate black metal, shoegaze, and post rock influences. We also include a lot harmonies such those found in Crosby Stills and Nash
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
3. The EP is about anxiety, nature, unrequited love, and mysticism. And the new album's story tells the tale of a man's journey across the Pacific Ocean. Japanese and Norse mythology guides the narrative.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
4. The name comes from my fascination with the moon, particularly when it is full close to the fall equinox. I am of Japanese heritage and at the time I was learning the language. Thus, Akaitsukiー 赤い月, The Harvest Moon, was born.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
5. The little private gigs we would play for our friends. They were good times, we would be in the dark with our stage lights with the fog running. We would drink, smoke and play loud.
6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
6. When the new album is finished we want to start touring around the west coast United States. We would love to travel to other countries and continents and make our way around in a van playing gigs.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal, post rock and shoegaze?
7. Most of our fans come from the metal community, black metal in particular. I would love to also hear feedback from shoegaze or post rock fans, and after the next album is released hopefully there should be more.
8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
8. I have a couple more projects lined up right now. A solo one with more piano and shoegaze, a new band with my friend Eric Lee, and producing for some other friends.
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
9. The new album that I'm producing is a lot bigger than the last one. The drums are more explosive, and guitars are soaring around the mix. Everything is more pronounced. This is a major step forward since the last release.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. My favorites are Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Agalloch, and Alcest. I have been listening to Gojira to capture their production quality, and bands like Cocteau Twins and Type O Negative to get that reverb drum kit down. Recently I've taken an interest to a lot more shoegaze like Slowdive.
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
11. I dabble in Web design, and I enjoy reading and watching documentaries. I also meet up with Eric a lot to talk about a project that we are working on, a sort of multi-media production company, laying down plans and ideas.
12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
12. I'm really looking forward to the new album coming out this summer. I really think it has the potential to be something profound. Hope you check it out.