1. To be honest we did not give us much time to record CODE: END. We had already chosen the songs from a collection of pre-produced songs. Still, the recording sessions were long and intense.
Along the way, our past label dissolved we signed up with CURSED RECORDS. This fact was pretty good for us. To be honest we had already doubted that cooperations with labels would be the right thing for us.
Also, Necrosodomizer moved on and left the band, so Malthus recorded the bass guitar as well. Finally, Mike Hell joined as our new bassist and performed our recent Live Delusions with us.
2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
2. We spend a lot of time with re-amping and mixing to reach the sound that we have imagined. The sound should maintain and transmit the feeling on the album, it should also be some kind of futuristic and individual what seems quiet impossible nowadays.
Still the result is very satisfying for us and different from „Unconsciousness“, a bit more daring.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?
3. In „Code: End“ I think it’s obvious to talk about the humanity's end.
Generally the topics refer to the primitive human being and his miserable fail to metaphysical questions. The human race is not as highly developed as we think. Humanity is easily influenced and controlled, that regresses awareness and evolution.
The solution could be for example some extra-terrestrial orbs in apocalyptic colours and being replaced, in reaching a higher lifeform, or just a game of chess…
This kind of topics leave space and there is no question arising if the written words are right or wrong. Especially I always try to leave space for self-interpretations and try to mash the lyrics with music.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Groteskh'?
4. The word Groteskh has always been with us and our musical careers.
It offers wide scope not to be categorized and musically limited.
Groteskh is also a result of different musical influences and individual characters sharing the same feelings to express ourselves.
5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
5. We had many shows so far but nearly every show is particular. There were some great gigs during a tour for example in Hamburg, Karlsruhe, Paris as well as shows with and mostly for our friends and fans. For us it is important to row in the same direction.
To describe our performance is also part of the audience.
6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
6. Currently we are „touring“ with our new release-shows live delusions through Austria.
Beside the already played shows in Klagenfurt, Linz, Vienna and Graz we will also appear in Salzburg this week to call the home crowd attention to the new album and our new age, like Malthus used to say.
7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
7. It is difficult to be apparent in this thick forest of partly good black metal bands today. Unfortunately supply overtakes demand. Personally it’s not easy for me to keep overview and select a new underground band out of many to identify myself with.
Like in business, it seems to be more useful to have money and promotion than musically aspects. Therefore, we are glad to have received such a good feedback for our MUSIC from people so far.
We also like to absorb feedback of constructive critics who really occupied themselves with us.
8.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?
8. For us it is important not to be associated with other projects some of us were or are involved.
The thing is that people compare and form an opinion, even if there are no musically parallels, like unfortunately media does from time to time.
9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
9. That will also be interesting for us. We are pleased that Malthus established his own professional recording studio. There we can spend a lot of time with producing what is a luxury we never had before.
We already have several new songs and we are just looking forward to produce. It’s maybe fair to say that they will sound less conventional.
10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. All of us mostly listen to different music and also genres. You sure will recognize some styles listening through the album.
11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. There are many. From driving motorcycle to playing chess. Most all of us trying to spend time outside as much as possible to go fishing or just to enjoy nature.
12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. It would be a pleasure for us if one or the other reader becomes a listener and open oneself to give us a feedback!
Thank you for your interest and all the best by keep doing occultblackmetalzine!
(answered by Goreman - guitar)