Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Sar Nath Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about  the musical project?

Well, being that Sar Nath is my main project, I will focus on answering that solely about Sar Nath. (I don't wanna use you in order to "plug" all kinds of related shit.) If I were to just make it a quick answer, I always say "Mental Torment Audio", because I have very severe mental issues, even another personality, that I have seemed to successfully hone when recording this Sar Nath material. It's a purging. Musically, it could be described just as YOU described it in your fine review of the first full-length, good sir!

2.In November you had released an album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
It's black metal. It's raw. It's self-aware insanity turned into immortal art. It's therapy. Fans of anything from Darkthrone, Mayhem, or some "DSBM" like Nocturnal Depression or Silencer, to my good friend and metal-brother Emir's Yayla output will hopefully find much to eat up here.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
Struggle. Hatred. Hatred for mankind, including myself. Longing for the shedding of this skin...you know, that lovely stuff.

4.I know that the name 'Sar Nath' is inspired by H.P Lovecraft, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this author?
When one hates the flesh (to the point where they are asexual, always anxious, feeling alien to their own nerves...like I do), fantasy plays a huge role in the coping one needs to do in order to not blow their fucking brains all over the place. The darker stuff, like Lovecraft's, both makes me feel more at home, and better about my own shadowed heart.

5.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?
I will remain solo. I have had way too many people try (and sometimes succeed) to step on my vision. Except special, heavily thought out colabs. I have one with Mr. Togrul coming in the near future. But, for the most part, I'll never be part of an official band again.

6.The album has been released through both Hypnosia Recordings and Merdumgiriz, are you happy with the support both of the labels have given you so far?
Well, I run Hypnosia,and I treat myself like dogshit. So, the support from Merdumgiriz is PERFECT for my unique situation.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
Honsestly, surprisingly well. The US, Russia, The UK, Turkey, have caught on, because It seems that the old 1st and 2nd-wave formulas are respected, but it also seems that fans (like myself) want more of a cerebral journey in the newer material coming out. We always have the classics, and they are treasures. But I am a huge fan of goth rock, REAL punk, gory death metal like Necrophagia, NWOBHM, noise/ambient/experimental...and I feel like I can help with such a journey by incorporating bits of these things into my black metal.

8.With your past musical projects you played more of a melodic death or death/thrash style, what was the decision behind going into a black metal direction with this musical project?

It's simple. I could not release any hatred or free any of my demons doing that stuff. It was a social ball where everyone was happy and partying. That is not me.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
I see myself staying the same in style and philosophy, but constantly expanding the depth of it. I'll never disappoint those that enjoy what I do right now.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Mayhem has always been HUGE in giving me inspiration. Actual "crazy" (more like *enlightened*) artists like Nattramn, both in Silencer and his ambient/noise work. Lately...Lots of projects by Mories (Gnaw Their Tongues, Cloak Of Altering, De Magia Veterum), Cultes Des Ghoules, and a lot of noise and experimental. The new Prurient is fucking mind-blowing.

11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?
Yes and no. I am my own occult, in that I draw power from many different spirits, not just my own. But when it comes down to it, my church is me. And it's rotten, pungent, unhallowed, and full of truths. But on a less cryptic level, I'd say, no. I do not practice any traditional occult rituals or write about them.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Yes. I say to fans interested in any harsh music - DO NOT take the easy way out, succumbing to the pop-up ads online, the magazine covers, the radio, the charts. Most of those "artists" are not genuine, and do not suffer themselves as martyrs for their art. They are models and mallrats raking in the dough from being nothing but an image and a flavor of the year sound. It actually sickens me, mainly how the "core" scene is trying to claim the titles "metal" or "punk"...when that have NONE of what it takes to have earned such titles. So, if you agree, are an actual fan of things YOU looked for yourself, sounds you made an effort to find, artists that shed blood, sweat, and tears for themselves and you...I throw the horns to you, my brothers and sisters.

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment