Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Ossaert Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
I’ve always had a love for Black Metal, but i never had the opportunity in my previous bands/projects to create such music. I founded Ossaert last year to make the music that i really wanted to make. People ask me where I get my inspiration from, but i find that hard to define. I listen to a lot of different genres of metal, but mostly black, death and some heavy metal. I think all these genres are included in Ossaert but a specific sound compared to other bands is hard for me to say. I’ve heard people say that is kind of similar to Bölzer but it has also elements of the second wave Norwegian black metal.

2.You have your first album coming out in February, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?
I didnt go for a specific style. I just created the sound that i always wanted to make. At first, I tried to make really raw black metal but after a while i realized that focusing on one specific music genre didn’t work for me, writing-wise but also personally. I realized that I can’t think in boxes. That was the moment this album was created.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?
The music is focused mainly on hopelessness and the decay of human kind as a species. It touches on topics such as life after death or the absence thereof, existential crisis, and that humanity is no more than beasts.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ossaert'?
The Ossaert is a nature spirit/demon from old folktales. Mainly in Zeeland but also in other regions in the Netherlands, like the Veluwe, where I’m from. I chose this name because of my fascination with old folklore and the supernatural.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?
First of, “Bedehuis” means a house of prayer. I chose this name because the 4 tracks of this album almost are a desperate prayer to one of the possibly existing gods. Prayer is more than talking to gods, it also seems like a relief to the people who have faith in something and pray. So they can leave their burdens by placing them in the hands of the gods. In that sense my album was my bedehuis, a place for me to let go of all my negative thoughts. On the cover you see some kind of pulpit broken down, with the alchemic symbol for Arsenic above it. I chose it to represent the poison in not just organised religion, but also people in general when they group together. It seems there’s always a tendency to corrupt.

6.With the exception of a session drummer you record most of the music by yourself, are you open to expanding from a solo project to a whole band?

At this point, not yet. This project is very near to my heart and I want to keep it that way for the time being. Maybe in the future, I will explore using a live band but I will always be the writer. Also I enjoy not having to consult with anyone or compromise on what I want to create. I have always had to compromise in previous bands and that’s fine because it’s not just me in the band. But with Ossaert, it is just me. 

7.The new album is going to be released on Argento Records', how did you get in contact with this label?
Through Wessel, the session drummer and producer of my album. After he recorded drums for Bedehuis and mixed and mastered it, he asked me what my plans were for the album. Originally I had no real plans and I wanted to release it by myself for my friends to listen to. Wessel said he knew some labels that might be interested and after some thought I decided to see who would be interested in my music. So I contacted them and here we are.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
I honestly don’t know. So far, the response I have gotten has been positive and it has reached more people than I thought it would. The first single has only just been released, so a lot of people have yet to hear it. But so far the response has been very great.

9.Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects?
Yes, I have another band called “Shagor”. We will be playing our first show at the end of February. It’s a black metal band, kind of similar to “Ossaert” but more atmospheric.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
Debt. No, just kidding. I hope to release more albums. As a matter of fact, I have almost completed my second “Ossaert” album.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Like i said before, black metal, death metal and heavy metal are the genres that inspired me to make music. Bands like: Burzum, Mgla, Trelldom, Taake, Cattle Decapitation and Bölzer, but also Dutch Black Metal bands like: Laster, Fluisteraars, Verwoed, Turia and Iskandr. Those are also the bands I listen to alot.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I’m thankful for the opportunity Argento Records gave me to release my noise upon the world. One year ago I could have never guessed I would be releasing my solo debut.

https://www.facebook.com/Ossaert/

No comments:

Post a Comment