Monday, May 24, 2021

DÖMD Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?



DÖMD is the solo project of Digher which is a sad, lost, manic and forgotten spirit that exists on the edge of sanity. It is a vision that portrays the struggle in finding the roots both within black metal itself, but also within one's own history and culture.



2.So far you have released 3 demo's, musically how do you feel they differ from each other?



”I skuggan av ringmuren” and ”Koleragravar” are both created in the same creative flow so to speak. ”I skuggan av ringmuren” is however more bareboned while ”Koleragravar” was made to have a more suffocating feeling of intense darkness that in the end will swallow you whole. You know that something is coming, something that is pure, something that you, in time, will succumb to.



”Vitastjärnas dröm” however is more like a glimmering illusion within ones own struggle with melancholy while at the same time you envision your heathen ancestors drowning out at sea or are slaughtered in the battlefield.



3.In the last month you have released 3 demo's, do you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?



My life is trying to channel what is inside me. When I have nothing more to channel I will no longer be alive.



4.A lot of your lyrics deal with mythology, folklore and the heathen heritage of Gotland, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in those topics?



I have always been interested and fascinated in these kind of topics. The older I get the more I get drawn into the mythology of man and how our past always shapes our future. It is very personal and very entwined into my own life.



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'DÖMD'



It has a lot to do with the philosophocal idea of determinism because DÖMD in english would be DOOMED. But it is also a personal statement that relates to ideas os misantrophy, nihilism, pessimism, mealcnoly, depression and such.



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo covers?



The artwork are of old Gotlandic ruins, old Gotlandic graves and old Gotlandic picture stones. The picture stone depicts the dream of VITASTJÄRNA when she dreamt about three snakes entangled inside her womb and thus leading the way to the evolution of human life on Gotland.



7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?



I have had both good experiences and very bad experiences when creating with other humans. I find it more fitting for myself, at the time, to create everything by myself, mostly due to my own lack of communicating in a proper way with other people when it comes to my creative visions. And also because I often end up feeling greatly misunderstood when trying to make my creativity become reality.



8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?



I have not yet looked for a label. Right now I am fully focused on my own creativity and where it in the end can lead DÖMD.



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?



I have had many people from all over the world liking what I do. However not so much in scandinavia or in Sweden or in Gotland where I live. I find that natural because the scandinavian extreme metal scene is very boring and artifical these days, it is mostly overly melodic and without soul. It focuses mainly on production and technicality. None of these things I offer.



I have however heard a lot from fans in the likes of Mexico, South America, Russia and so on. I feel that they have a very different take on black metal and extreme metal in general than many in Scandinavia has these days. They are focused on what is authentic, like BATHORY, HELLHAMMER and so on...



10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?



Within a year a full length will hopefully be released. I have no ambition as a musician as long as I can make my vision of what I find to be the true essence of what I am creating to be a reality everyone that is willing can participate in.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



All the old gods of black metal are my influences and they are also what I am listening to nowadays.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



”No one will understand the reason for this anyway.” - Pelle ”Dead” Ohlin

https://dmdmusic3.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment