Monday, May 17, 2021

Winter Eternal Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording of the new album?


I'm currently working on new material for 2 upcoming releases, but there is still in early stages.


There are also plans to make W.E. a live entity.



2.You have a new album coming out in June, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


As far as production, riffs, lyrics and performances, it's by far my most professional work so far.


Some new elements are the clean vocals, the 7/8 time signature and violin / cello in a non instrumental song.




3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as songwriters over the years?


I'm fascinated by the concept of Darkness as a primordial force, by Myths and Legendary stories and everything has to do with the influence of winter on nature and human emotions.


As far as composing, I'm giving my self some limitations so I can keep havinig a simular ''sound'' (at least for now):


1) The structure of the songs is intentional basic (so you can focus to the melodies / music).


2) Non copy paste attitute.


3) Leave a few mistakes here and there (because I truly belive that they give charecter to a song).



In addition to the constants I mentioned, I'm continually trying to improve as a guitarist / bassist / vocalist and add some new elements each time.





4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Winter Eternal'?


The multitude of emotions that are associated with Winter, are so unique and beautiful that it became the sole reason for me, to try to capture them through my music.


Thus the name Winter Eternal.




5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The absolutely amazing Joan Llopis Doménech did the artwork for the ''Land of Darkness'' and I'm 666% happy with the result.


He managed to put on the canvas the cold, lonely and sorrowful path that someone needs to take to gain redemption, and that is the whole concept of the new album.




6.With this project you record everything by yourself but also have experience working with full line ups in other bands, which one do you prefer?


A solo project gives you the freedom to create everything exactly as you want and for the specific project I prefer doing things this way.


All that aside, I truly miss rehearsing and giging with bandmates, and as far as composision goes, some times the contribution of ideas creates something that a solo project cannot accompiced.



7.The project originated in Greece but you now reside in Scotland, can you tell us a little bit more about the move?


The financial situation in Greece was the reason for me to come to Scotland, and I am very happy with that decision.


Besides the fact the Scotland is by far one of the most beautiful countries that I have ever been and the vast majority of the people here are awesome, the name of the band fits perfectly with the weather and the whole atmosphere of Scotland.




8.On the new album you also did a "Gates Of ishtar' cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?


I still remember the time that I listen to the ''Dawn of Flames'' (that was the first track that I ever listen by Gates of Ishtar, in my teenage years) I was blown away!!!!


They are a major influence in my music and one of the most underatted bands in the genre.





9.The new album is going to be released in 'Hell's Headbangers', how would you compare working with this label to other labels that you have been a part of in the past?


I believe that they act as Fans first and then as a Label, (and that is Fucking awesome) without affecting the professionalism to the slightest.


So it's needless to say that I'm more than happy that our new album will be released by them.




10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


So far the feedback we get is really great, and that's fuels my productivity.





11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


The only thing I'm hoping for the future, is to have the passion, time and resources to continue to compose music and share it with the people that are enjoying it.




12.What are you currently listening to nowadays?


Thrash and Black metal are the genres that I spend most of my time listening to, but besides those, I really enjoy everything from Blues to Death Metal, even prog and technical stuff.


The thing is that they are so many amazing releases every Fucking day, that you cannot properly follow something nowdays!!!!


But to stay on topic, the last releases by Odal, Uada, Havukruunu, Afsky, Lunar Spell make an impression on me.






13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Something that I like to mention every time I get the opportunity to do so... A HUGE thanks to Panagiotis Msd (Clepsydra Studio) and Nikos Papakostas (Entasis Studio) for the vital help throughout W.E. existence.


Also, HAILS to all those that helped in any way for this album come to life, all of those that are going to support it and to you for this interview!!


EMBRACE THE DARKNESS!!!!


Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment