Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Chaos Altar Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

Hail OBMZ !

Back in the days in 2008 I think, after a few deceptions with different bands, and getting tired of having to compromise with other musicians, I started writing my own music, alone. Obviously I'm deep into black metal, 90's black metal at this time, so here the project was born.


2.You have a new ep coming out towards the end of July, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

With time I suppose my influences became "richer". There is still this 90's vibe, but also influences from more recent bands that focus a lot on the atmosphere. Even if I always wanted to have a strong aura, I think I achieved that more on this one.


3.This is also your first release in 9 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been gong on during that frame?

Being a solo project, everything takes more time. After the release of And Then you Die, I think I started writing new stuff like 6 months after. Considering I have to write and record everything, it took me about 4 years to achieve everything. Things were moving forward, but covid happened. My sound guy couldn't work on my materials, plus had personal issues, leading to the final version ready only a few months ago.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored on both of the releases?

And then you Die mostly focused on hate for the human kind, for everything we do as a species, and nostalgia for the primitive Chaos, when the universe wasn't soiled by any living form. Where the Ashes now reign is the after. After we destroyed everything, and only a world of ashes can be witnessed by those who manage to stand. Before the chaos reborn!


5.Originally the project was called 'Nir um Tuk', what was the cause of the name change and also the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Chaos Altar'?

Nir'um'Tuk, even if it had nice Sumerian vibes, was too complicated to remember. Chaos being the main theme behind the music, quickly Chaos Altar imposed itself.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

I like painted artwork, so I found an artist that would deliver. I found Hellish Visions work by chance, loved it, and I am really happy with my choice.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself but have worked with musicians in other projects and bands, do you prefer to work solo?

Like I said, I really like to work solo to avoid compromise with anyone. I still enjoy playing with others, but for now I just want to work as a live session musician, for bands with very close friends.


8.The new ep as released on 'Void Wanderer Productions', how would you compare working with them to 'Cold Raw Records'?

I was happy with the deal I got with Cold Raw, it was a fair one for a first EP. Clearly it is above with Void Wanderer, the promotion/teasing is perfect!



9.On the ep you also done a 'Slayer' cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?

Besides Black Metal I'm a huge fan of Thrash. It can be felt in the music I think. So in the old school spirit, I like to cover classic thrash songs from the 80's.

 

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

So far the reactions are very positive, but let's wait for the release at the end of the month!


11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I work on new stuff since 2 years I think (while I was waiting for this EP to be ready). The goal is indeed to release a full length. But first I'll enjoy the release of this EP, after I'll be ready to put my mind in the next offering.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

For the 90's black metal, Emperor, Dissection, and old Satyricon are the first stuff that comes in mind (classics of the classics). For the more recent scene, Mgla, Nightbringer, Cult of Fire, Acherontas, Ofermod... All those bands have such a strong focus on the atmosphere!

Recently I listened a lot to Akhlys and Cosmic Church.

I'm also a huge fan of rock, Lucifer is the band that got my interest the most these days.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for this interview, and for keeping the flame alive!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iRXHlXG3xA

 

No comments:

Post a Comment