Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Antumbra Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Antumbra started in 2021, but the idea arose in October 2019 when I bought my first guitar. In 2020 I spent most of the time learning music theory basics, learning how to play guitar, how to compose music and to mix and master. In February 2021 I started to work on the first song called „The Scavengers” that was released on my first album „Dark Mist and Shadows” in 27 July 2021. The Antumbra sound was crafted during the pandemic and this was also an inspiration for some of my songs.


 


2.In the last 2 years you have released 4 full lengths, musically how do they all differ from each other?


I think the difference is quite big, probably the first album had more influence from doom metal, maybe even symphonic metal and other metal genres. Every album has its own sound. The first two albums are not as good as I wanted. I think all four albums have a deep melancholic vibe, full of nostalgia and feelings but expressed differently.


 


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


Sometimes I introspect my thoughts, sometimes I feel – and I try to express – my emotions. I wrote about isolation and loneliness, but I hope not in a depressive way. My lyrics revolve around life and death, near Romania there is a war ongoing so I had to write about that. I try to deliver the message in a direct way, even if sometimes my lyrics can be interpreted differently. For example, in „All Paths Lead to Death”, even if it’s about the war in Ukraine, it’s about everyone who lived or still lives on Earth.


The lyrics from the song „Prisoners” also can have different meanings, or can be applied to many things, but they were inspired from „Allegory of the cave” by Plato. I definitely recommend „Republic” for anyone who hasn't read it, about education (or the lack of it).


 


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Antumbra'?


Being passionate about astronomy and physics I wanted to choose a name that it’s related to some phenomenon from the world around us. Antumbra is basically a part of the shadow that starts where the umbra ends. This is visible on Earth during the annular solar eclipse, an event so rare because Moon’s antumbra rarely hits the Earth and it lasts only a few moments creating a beautiful ring of fire. This is happening also with our life. Maybe this also happens with life in our Universe. It appears in one place just to burn and fade to begin a new story in another place.


 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the compilation album cover?


In the artwork I wanted to represent the irreversible passage of time and the human frailty. I think the statues with no faces also give an aura of mystery. Sooner or later everyone will be forgotten.


 


 


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


I tried to get some members into Antumbra just after the first album release, „Dark Mist and Shadows”. After a message posted on a Facebook group I managed to gather all the members but unfortunately this lasted about 1-2 months. We were from different cities and we were in the middle of coronavirus pandemic. We had meetings on Zoom each week for rehearsal and discussions and I felt things were not moving at all so I decided to go alone. So, to answer your question, I don’t know, probably the project will move on as a one man band. At least for now.


 


7.You have released a lot of music in the last few years, do you spend most of your time writing and creating music?


Actually, my full time job is as a software developer. I also have other hobbies besides music, but I try to dedicate some time to Antumbra as well. Luckily my girlfriend understands me. It’s hard to say in hours, because when I pick up my guitar I forget about time. But probably let’s say, I spend about 5-10 hours a week. Sometimes much more. Most of the songs were made in about two-three days per song (about 4-6 hours per day) plus another day for mixing and mastering. The mixing and mastering of course doesn’t take much, probably 30-60 minutes but I prefer to do the mixing in the next day after recording because our neurons are lazy and get bored after dozens of repetitions and can distort the perception.


It might seem that I have released a lot of music, but when you play alone some things are harder, other things are much easier. For example, I don’t have to rehearse my old songs because I don’t play live, so more time remains for creating new stuff.


 


8.With the exception of the compilation album you chose to release most of your music digitally, can you tell us a little bit more about this decisions?


I thought it is easier to reach a wider audience through digital platforms. This was the main reason, I just wanted my music to be listened to. But probably from now on I will release my albums in a physical version as well.


 


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


It was surprisingly good and I didn’t expect to have so much positive feedback. And by the way, I read every message and respond to everyone, so if you want, drop me a message on Facebook, YouTube or any platform you prefer!


 


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I have no idea! We will see, for now I will continue creating and releasing new music but I don’t know if I will ever play live. Right now I’m working on a new album that will probably be released next year.


 


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


It’s hard to say, probably everything that I listened to had an impact on my music ,such as black metal, atmospheric and post-black metal. I grew up with Mayhem, Darkthrone, Limbonic Art, Emperor, Marduk and other bands from that period of time. I also enjoy death metal and grindcore, from Dark Lunacy to Beyond Creation or Dying Fetus. Just to enumerate few bands I like now: Grima, Mgla, Watain, Ellende, Ulver, Svrm, Uada, Mephorash, Taake, Gaerea, Minenwerfer, Germ, Nargaroth, Heretoir, Ultar, Lustre.


 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thank you for this interview and thank you all who listen to Antumbra and support me! Devour the light and seek the knowledge!


Take care!

Play on Bandcamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLGsuDGX_g

No comments:

Post a Comment