Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Unholy Prophet Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


orbid Annihilator: Hails, comrades! So, we are a Brazilian duo, and we play old-school melodic black metal with many influences.


Nekrös: I guess Morbid Annihilator has already said enough.



2.So far you have released a demo and a couple of ep's, musically how do they differ from each other?


Morbid Annihilator: Our first demo, "Christ Crusher," is very raw and aggressive. The atmosphere is obscure and tenebrous, while our two latest releases sound more melodic and cleaner, but still with the old-school essence.


Nekrös: You can see they were done with different themes and under different influences. "Christ Crusher," our first demo, has a sound closer to Bestial Black Sound with heavy influences of Beherit but also with some influence of old school BM like Burzum and Dark Throne.



3.A lot of your lyrics cover Satanic, Luciferian and Anti Christian themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?



Morbid Annihilator: The dark arts are basically the roots of black metal. When we sing about it, we are not just singing about dark themes; we are making a tribute to everything that the genre has represented since the day of its inception.


Nekrös: In our early days, those were the main themes of our songs. We are currently writing more songs that talk about the struggles and torment of humanity, but not in the same way as a generic DSBM band would. The idea of being blasphemous came from the urge to shock people, but now it just seems more and more shallow to me.


4.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?



Morbid Annihilator: Besides the dark arts, we also explore human feelings in our songs, such as depression, misanthropy, hatred, fear, and spirits are also mentioned in some songs.


Nekrös: As I have said earlier, most lyrics now cover themes surrounding suffering and pain. I try my best to write songs that reflect fear, hate, and the melancholic nature of love, death, and life.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Unholy Prophet'?


Morbid Annihilator: To me, it is an affront to the sacred meaning that has been given to the word "prophet." Many people attach this word exclusively to Christ but forget that prophets can come from all sides, from the most beautiful and sacred to the most profane and perverse.


Nekrös: It's a nice name in my opinion, and it sounds evil, which is what really matters to me.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?


Nekrös: I wanted the artwork to symbolize how I visualize the sound of the EP and how I see Black Metal itself. To me, Black Metal can be used to rescue old traditional art in a new form and meaning by making it darker and crude. That's why I used the illustration of a fairy tale book with added corpse paint; it takes the old and innocent and brings a darker different approach.


Morbid Annihilator: The idea of the cover was to not feature the band's logo or album name in it, just the art in emphasis.



7.Currently there are only 2  members in the band, are you open to expanding your line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?


Morbid Annihilator: Remain a duo.


Nekrös: I am open to changes in the lineup as long as I remain as the lead guitarist. But most likely, it will continue to be a duo as it is easier to do things quicker and in the way we envision it.



8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?



Morbid Annihilator: Sure, we are always open to new opportunities.


Nekrös: I am not really thinking about it as much as I used to. I am pretty sure most labels are satisfied signing with crappy bands that have rich musicians (not that we are any better). If anything, I am planning to do even more limited releases (we are also probably leaving Bandcamp soon as that platform is also crap; fuck Bandcamp).



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


Morbid Annihilator: Surprisingly good. At times, both me and Nekrös were unsure about "Is this material really any good?" However, whenever we released something, we received good feedback and constructive criticism from people from different countries, and that motivates us a lot. We thank you all!


Nekrös: Not many people outside our circle of friends know about the band. At first, I was disappointed about this, but now I feel like that's better. Reactions have been mixed, with some liking our latest EPs and others being more critical. Which is good; I am more than happy to receive negative criticism as it helps me understand what can be done to improve our sound in future releases.


10.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that both of the band members are a part of?


Morbid Annihilator: I have A LOT of solo projects, and it's been a while since I released anything on them. However, I can say that I am working on something, and soon I will bring news.


Nekrös: I am currently working only with Unholy Prophet, as I want it to be my main project. Other projects of mine are currently all on hold.



11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


Morbid Annihilator: We are working to bring even more quality to the next materials we will release, investing in new equipment to improve our sound, and who knows, maybe soon we will record something in a professional studio.


Nekrös: As Morbid Annihilator said before, I will buy an audio interface so we can start working on something new. Probably not an album, as I feel we are not ready for it yet, but I am optimistic about the future of the band, and we are going to work on new demos soon.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Morbid Annihilator: Some of our principal influences are from Finnish and German bands because they always have epic riffs!


Nekrös: Currently, I have to say Finnish Black Metal. But if I had to name some bands, I would say Sargeist, Beherit, Cult of Enthropy, and GBK. Not all of them are Finnish, but they all play that same style of fast and melodic riffs that Finnish BM is known for (except Beherit, but they are still a band that influences my sound).


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Morbid Annihilator: Thanks to all for the support; wait for our next stuff.


Nekrös: Fuck Keller Synth. Thanks for giving us this opportunity!

Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment