Saturday, September 30, 2023

Wampyric Ghostlord Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


First of all I want to thank you so much about this opportunity to talk about my project. Wampyric Ghostlord is a project that I gave to life in 2022 as a raw one Black Metal band, where I took personally care about everything from the songwriting and all instruments recordings to the production and distribution of the physical CDs. I consider this project as a radical expression of my musical ideas and my will to create (as you will see in the next releases) an entire dimension based upon satanism and vampirism in a world completely eaten by darkness, where every value is completely suffocated by evilness.


2.So far you have released a demo, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


My influences were various. I tried to unite some melancholic and dark melodies to the more simple and versatile powercords, trying to create a style that, although it cannot be considered fully innovative, can nevertheless not fall into the obvious. I took as example some of my favourite artists like Taake, Horna and Satanic Warmaster, channeling their lessons in a rotten, icy, edgy sound. From what you have been able to hear so far, I cannot hide my great passion for Ambient and overall for the Dark Ambient, a genre that I personally feel is best suited to accompany Black Metal in the development of a gloomy and misanthropic style as I want this project to be.

Don't be surprised if future releases have a strong and consistent Ambient component, as I think it is one of the most powerful tools for bringing dark and macabre atmospheres to life, emphasising the air of mystery that perfectly complements an album with cold and edgy sounds.


3.A lot of your lyrics cover vampirism themes, can you tell us a little bit more about youtr interest in this topic?


I see vampirism as a cult of veneration of darkness and evil, the desecration of the splendour of life and collective morality that has come about in the modern world.

A vampire is not merely a folkloric, pseudo-mythological revenant being who lives in the night and feeds on the life essence of its victims. I see a vampire as one who wants to see the world burn, an adept of darkness who derives strength and nourishment in dissipating the life energies of his victims. It's pure and primal chaos bringer, a cynic emissary of the darkness, which the only purpose is to bring death in the world.

As a person who is strongly opposed to the fake respectability of our times and tired of seeing how the modern world continues to evolve by disappointing more and more, I am totally fascinated by this cynical pleasure in the death, pain and despair of others that has characterised the figure of the vampire for centuries. Therefore with this project I have tried to channel my ideals into a personal vision of vampirism. And maybe somebody could disagree with it, but I sincerely don't care... What I want to propose is more a personal vision and interpretation of vampirism.


4.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


With my other projects, I have not strayed too far from my personal dislike of the world of our days, trying to explore different avenues to channel my ideals. With Galpedar, for instance, we have written lyrics more related to the antiquity of our country, moving from dealing with the scourge of the barbarian hordes in "Eridan Hordes" to the misanthropic invocations of "Marsh Lurks in Darkness".

With Myr, on the other hand, we have been working for some time on a very introspective concept album based on the study of pain and loneliness and the effects they can have on the human mind, all in completely medieval settings.

I don't tend to deviate too much from the aforementioned themes, although with Galpedar I would like to deepen a study of Italian folklore and, in particular, of our areas, always maintaining that malignity and icy darkness that will always be dear to me in the production of a text.

With Falce, on the other hand, it was very different in that we gave Narvil carte blanche to produce the lyrics and he did an exceptional job, combining poetry and cosmic spirituality to create a combination of gothic tones and ancestral themes that works splendidly and, given the excellent result of the first EP, I would like to continue along this path, leaving the lyrics to him, concentrating solely on the instrumental part.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Wampoyric Ghostlord'?


Wampyric Ghostlord is the entity that embodies pure and supreme evil and misanthropy in the world I am trying to describe in this project. He is the undisputed lord of the night, "born in darkness from the womb of the moon", the one whose return to the mortal world will lead to the damnation of mankind.

Already from the lyrics of the first demo I tried to give an incipit, a brief presentation of the world and the cult that I would like to build over time and the direction I would like the project to take, building piece by piece this concept based on the return of this spirit child of hell and the reign of death and despair that will burden mortals.

There are no heroes in this world and no one will come to save mankind, there will only be an eternal descendant of this infernal progenitor who will enslave the mortal world, erasing all sense of pity, joy and compassion.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo cover?


I used a painting by Marcel Roux entitled 'Le Désespoir' as artwork for the first demo. I personally modified the painting by obscuring every minor detail, so that only this female figure lit from the window of her room would stand out, despairing and crying while covering her face with her hands.

As the beginning of my project, I wanted my first release to be visually focused on grief, a metaphor to define what would afflict the human soul in the continuation of this continuous concept. I wanted the colour tones to make the artwork even more minimalist, in true Transylvanian Hunger style, which is why I chose everything to be black and white (something I won't limit myself to in future releases).


7.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with musicians in other bands or projects, do you prefer to work solo?


Let's say that I appreciate both working alone and with other people. It's hard to say what I prefer between the two, because it's certainly priceless to be able to have a band on your own where it's just you, your ideas and what you want to do and carry out, and then be satisfied with a finished product that is the fruit of your own abilities. On the other hand, it's a unique experience to be able to have a band, to rehearse, to exchange opinions and grow together, creating the union of several minds put together, and then to find yourself outside of rehearsals and see people who are more than friends, they are companions in a unique adventure that I hope will take you far in the future.

Clearly, it can't all be easy, because the first problem with having a band is that everyone is directed towards a single goal, which is certainly made up of sacrifices and compromises, and when this goal deviates even a little for one of the members, it risks ending up in chaos. I have dealt with many musicians in the course of my life, I have seen projects start to end after a short time or after much sacrifice and, for now, I can say that all those with whom I share a project together are those with whom I feel comfortable and with whom I would like to continue working. Most of all there is Helhest, guitarist of Galpedar, with whom we have lived through many different adventures together and I consider him almost like a blood brother; I know that with him I could create a new band every single day and we would always be able to agree to carry out the project with the utmost seriousness and commitment.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


For now I have not received any offer and I haven't searched so deeply for it, but I'm open to collaborate with a label to produce my future works. Maybe it's too early for a demo and the future ones, but surely I will search for a label when I will release the first full-length.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


For having only released a first demo, I have to say that I have been quite satisfied with the general response. I've had a lot of positive feedback especially in the local scene and quite a few listens from Germany, the US, Finland and Portugal. To be able to count on the same level of support as a starting point for future demos would be great


10.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?


Over the past year, we have tried with Galpedar to write new music, but above all, we have put a lot of effort into completing the line-up in order to be able to play live. It's been a tough year, as we've all had ups and downs and other projects to deal with, but we're now at the end of this training and hope very soon to be ready to play our music on stages on any occasion that may come our way.

There will also soon be a collaboration between Galpedar and another project of mine, Myr, with whom we will release a split that will be the first physical release of the latter project.

We are also working with Falce to bring out new music and try new experiments! we haven't stopped writing new songs and I would like them to come to life soon.

I have to admit, though, that one of my biggest problems is that I always want to start writing new things at the risk of starting new projects. Sometimes I haven't even finished writing and recording something, that I already want to start something else and risk leaving unfinished what I have started and put it aside for a while... So now before I write for new projects (which I would definitely like to start) I want to commit myself to finishing everything I have started


11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I will work for now to the next couple of demos, then I will focus completely to the production of the first Wampyric Ghostlord's full-length.

For now I want to keep it as a studio project, to focus more on other projects I want to bring on the stages, but sure I would like one day to find musicians to bring this project live too.

Obviously if the project were to evolve to be able to hit the stages, I want to be the frontman of the band while continuing to be the leading voice of the project both in the studio and live, if necessary also playing bass on stage.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


It's hard for me nowadays to listen something different from any kind of Black Metal, because that's the genre of music that most reflects and satisfies my tastes

As I said before my influences comes from Taake, my favourite Black Metal band. A band led by an undisputed genius who, in my humble opinion, represents pure Norwegian Black Metal, if not the ultimate expression of the style itself. I have attended many of Hoest's concerts and have never been disappointed; his stage presence, the melodies of each of his songs, the musicians who have always accompanied him... Nothing could be more perfect! other projects I take inspiration and between my favourites there are sure Satanic Warmaster, Horna, Sarkrista, Wolves in the Throne Room and others more.

Furthermore, I must admit that one of my absolute favourite bands, very close to Black Metal but which I cannot fully consider within the genre, are Agalloch: they are a project I have been following for years and whose live performances I have had the honour of seeing; I have always been fascinated by how they have managed in each of their releases to bring to life these folk melodies imbued with a strong melancholy and a particular ritualism, accompanied by lyrics of pure poetry. Taake and Agalloch, although very different, I think they are the greatest that have inspired my way of living and writing the music.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or tohughts?


I just want to thank you guys for the opportunity to talk about my project and all my supporters of this first phase of my project. Keep the black flame of Black Metal alive and never stop fighting these shitty fake "values" that's poisoning the mind of the people these days! In darkness we will be free!


Official
Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment