Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Nervous Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


My solo album is the culmination of years of listening to, thinking about and making music. I've been composing since I picked up a guitar in my hands at the age of 7, so it seemed natural to create a project where I could share my compositions with the wider world. Acquiescence is just one side of the many genres and styles I move in as an artist, so I would also like to use Nervous to showcase my ambient, progressive and soundtrack music.


2.In July you had released your first full length, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


The music on Acquiescence was the result of breaking out of my comfort zone and combining this approach with my love of classical and soundtrack music. I grew up on progressive metal, so composing extreme music was something fresh for me. As a result, the album is based on a progressive approach to harmony and arrangement blended with the emotional intensity of black and death metal.


3.The lyrics on the new recording are a concept album, can you tell us a little bit more about the story you had covered with this rleease?


The lyrics and music on Acquiescence are, in truth, an autobiography covered in metaphor. The period in which I composed the album was the end of my adolescence, so the lyrics are the story of a man trying to find himself in a new world and acquiesce to living according to his nature.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nervous'?


When I was a child, everyone said I was nervous and irritable, so 'Nervous' naturally became my nickname on the internet. Later in life I was diagnosed with neurosis, so it seemed obvious to translate this into my solo project. I'd like to continue exploring musically not only my own psychology but that of other people in the future, so the name felt appropriate.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The cover of Acquiescence is originally a photo I took years ago on holiday in Montenegro, trying to capture the illusion created by the moon reflecting in the water of the Adriatic Sea. I recently found this photo on an old drive and was reminded of its significance. Using it as an album cover seemed natural, so I decided to add the elements I had seen in the darkness of the photo and create a hybrid cover out of it.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


I am open to working with other musicians, but I have never had the opportunity to undertake such a collaboration. Maybe in the future I will be able to complete a band under a different name, but I would like Nervous to remain my solo project.


7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received an interested?


If someone offers to relieve me of the burden of promoting and releasing my own music I would certainly be intrigued. I have no experience with this kind of collaboration, so it all depends on whether the label would fit my philosophy and whether we would be compatible.


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black, death and avant garde metal?


I am surprised by the positive response from the metal world to my music. This will certainly lead to many interesting opportunities and side projects. I never imagined that anyone outside of my family and friends would listen to what I do, so every single listener means the world to me.


9.Do you have experience playing in other bands or musical projects?


I've never played live or been in a band. My experience is limited to a few attempts at making music by exchanging files with friends over the internet.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I already have an outline for at least three more albums under the Nervous banner, and each of them will be completely different from the previous ones. I intend to focus on them after a period of promoting Acquiescence. I'd also like to start playing live with other musicians and under other band names, but this is something I have no experience with, so we'll see what comes out of it.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


My parents were metalheads, so I've been listening to bands like Opeth and Dream Theater since I was a kid. My innate interest in progressive music led me to the early Djent scene in 2010, so all these bands heavily influenced my guitar playing technique and approach to composition. Only in the last 5-6 years have I started exploring extreme music in earnest. You can certainly feel the influence of bands like Deathspell Omega and Xanthochroid on Acquiescence. These days I mostly listen to dissonant death metal, progressive rock and ambient music from the 70s/80s.


12.Before  we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thank you for interviewing me and reviewing my album. I never imagined that someone could be interested in something I create, so thank you again from the bottom of my heart. As for the music I am working on, expect the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment