Monday, August 5, 2024

Unwelcome Soul Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

Hello, and thanks for giving me the chance to talk about the project! Black metal has long been my favorite genre.  This album gave me the chance to give my own input musically, and to give me a cathartic release in dealing with the frustrations I feel with the modern world.  I wanted to use my musical influences to try to find a new space within the genre.  I think I've legitimately done that.


2.You released your first full length in July, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

I've always appreciated dynamics in music, so I really wanted to use dynamic shifts to accentuate the harder and faster elements of classic black metal.  I looked for ways to make space for the instruments to keep them complementary.  Clean sections, building, layered, and progressive sections, and drum heavy sections with grinding guitars are all present.  Most of all though, I wanted it to evoke emotion.


3.You have also mentioned being a military veteran, what impact does this have on the musical style that you play?

Being a combat veteran changes your view of the world, but in a different way for each person.  My own view became one of frustration, disconnect, and disdain for modern society and its people, and for the way society itself is destructive to the human condition.  Getting this idea into the music was difficult, but I wanted the music to have an eerie and hopeless feeling to it while still being dynamic and aggressive.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

Black metal and other extreme genres frequently carry messages of misanthropy.  I tried to get this idea into the lyrics in an artistic way that matched the music.  All of the lyrics and messaging on Dried Petals were created as a way to express the misanthropic and nihilistic feelings I frequently have towards myself and towards society.  There are multiple tracks that relate to this theme.  The other message is a little more abstract. This is the idea that modern society takes the young and vibrant human mind and strips away its beauty and autonomy, leading to darker and darker times.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Unwelcome Soul'?

The name came about when I was writing lyrics for the song Time, Don't Save Me.  Part of the feeling of being disconnected from the world ultimately leads to ideas that one doesn't belong here, hence the term unwelcome.  


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

I wrote the title track to talk about this idea of our minds becoming colorless and withered by the world.  The portrayal of a person with dried flowers coming out of their head came to mind, but I am not so artistic in the visual arts as I am in music.  I had a few different freelance artists draw give me their takes on the concept, and the one I selected felt perfect for the idea.  Metal album covers are almost always amazing, and I hope this one can live up to the expectations of fans of the genre.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

The benefit of working alone is that it is a much more efficient way to get through the daunting task of writing, recording, mixing, and mastering.  However, I have worked with other musicians in the past and I would still be very much open to collaborating with another person or group!


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I have not yet been approached by anyone that I would take seriously in that respect.  I would be open to the idea of working with a label, but part of me appreciates retaining certain ownership rights.  The promotional benefits would no doubt be impactful however, so if the right offer came along I would definitely consider it.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

Being a debut release, the amount of available data and feedback I have is somewhat limited.  However, I do know that I have had listeners from around the world, and what feedback and reviews I have had so far have been very positive and encouraging.  When I wrote the album, I didn't quite know exactly how it would fit into the genre, as it has many different musical influences infused within it, but after a few positive reviews, I can see that it is viewed the way I intended, which was that it is an experimental and original take on black metal.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

Making this record was challenging, but satisfying for me.  The positive feedback has definitely made me think I can make music of good quality and effect.  I would like to continue to write and record music that expresses feelings I have, and that I believe others have as well.  The last thing I would like to explore is a way to perform the music live.  Being a one-man show obviously makes that difficult, and this is where the collaboration question you asked earlier comes in. I'm not quite sure how to get there at this point, but this is something I plan to look into.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Tool, Pink Floyd, Megadeth, Emperor, Inquisition, Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, and Mgla, along with classical composers like Bach and Haydn have probably been my most heavy influences.  Many of the bands I just mentioned are ones I still listen to frequently.  I've also recently been further diving into the catalogs of other black metal mainstays like Sargeist, Horna, and Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult.  Lastly, I also have been exploring more underground black metal recently and found some great stuff.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I want to say thanks again for the interview, and to the fans and listeners out there, I have much gratitude to you for taking the time to experience my music.  There's more to come!


unwelcomesoul.com
youtube.com/@unwelcomesoul
instagram.com/unwelcomesoul
facebook.com/unwelcomesoul
unwelcomesoul.bandcamp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment