Sunday, June 9, 2013

Cursed Altar Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on since the split up?
Well, it hasn't been too long since the 'death' of Cursed Altar... two or three weeks maybe. Honestly, I have been taking some time off from recording music to gather my thoughts and ideas for the next project I'll be bringing into the world. I've also been trying to get some sort of powerviolence or sludge band started to play live. 

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the music that Cursed put out?
The sound that everyone likes/wants/and remembers is the Black Metal sound. 
If I had to describe the musical sound of Cursed Altar in it's truest form... I would just say that it is the darkest thoughts and ideas of my mind put into music: hate, sadness, fear, guilt, depression, anger, sorrow, etc. 

3. I know that the music started out as being atmospheric black metal, but the later releases had more sludge and punk elements, what was the cause of change in musical direction?
Well, to be honest, I hate not being able to branch out, musically speaking. I've always been a fan of Sludge and Doom Metal... I also love Punk music. I was hearing a lot of really interesting sludge music coming out in the past few months that had really inspired me and I wanted to take a break from Black Metal (for me, it is very difficult to come up with new ideas in that genre). 

4.What where some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Suicide, hatred for the human race, self hatred, depression, anger, death, etc. 

5.What was the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?
It was a while ago, but it has to do with the Earth being some sort of 'altar' and the human race being a 'curse' to the Earth. 
Like I said, I forgot the in depth meaning of the name. 

6. Recently the band split up. can you tell us more about the break up?
Honestly, it was just the fact that I was trying to push it to become something that it was clearly not. I wasn't satisfied with the way the new EP sounded. It sounded like a compilation of all these other bands. I respect and enjoy the talent that my guest musicians put into it, but I was going for a certain sound and I didn't get what I wanted. I could see that everyone else and myself were just not interested in direction Cursed Altar was taking. 

7. Recently you have started a new musical project, can you tell us a little bit about it and what direction it will be in?
I recorded a song and put it up under the name of CAAL, but that was pretty much the 'final breath' of Cursed Altar, really. 
I will be working on a new solo project named 'CHURCHDUST'. It is going to be heavily influenced by bands like SUNN O))), Argentinum Astrum, Electric Wizard, Earth, etc. It's going to very dark and a mixture of Doom, Drone, Dark Ambient, Sludge, and a pinch of Black Metal. 

8. On a worldwide level how was the feedback to the music of Cursed Altar by fans of black metal and other forms of underground music?
From what I could tell, people seemed to enjoy the music. Weather it was a die hard black metal fan, or just someone who enjoyed music in general, a lot of people liked it. 

9. What direction do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
Having as much to do with music as humanly possible. I'm going to try and get a powerviolence band going that will play live and (hopefully) put out records. My goal is to play music until I die. If I can be playing music when I die, even better. 

10. What where some of the bands and musical styles that influenced the music of Cursed Altar and also what are you listening to nowadays?
The four main bands that were the driving influence behind Cursed Altar were Deafheaven, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mayhem, and ISIS. 
I've been listening to a lot of Discharge lately... Uh... SUNN O))), Deafheaven, Black Sabbath, Leviathan, Slayer, Swamp Thing, Sepultura, Beastie Boys, Queens Of The Stone Age, Stevie Wonder, Amebix, etc, etc... The list can go on for days. 

11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
This is a hard question... If I'm not making music, I'm reading, trying to make some kind of art, or watching Netflix 24/7 (I have a problem. HA!)

12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks to everyone who supported Cursed Altar in it's short lifetime. I hope you guys will love CHURCHDUST just as much!

Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment