Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mare Cognitum Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
1. Mare Cognitum is a one-man black metal project which explores the vast expanses of the universe and the mind. It began as a personal project, and has grown a lot since then. With this project I strive to push my limits musically to create a truly unique and deeply evocative experience with every release.
2.How would you describe your musical sound?
. It's an immense atmospheric sound. The music can be crushing and also meditative, meant to bring the listener to a place of introspection. Musically, the compositions can contain a wide variety of styles usually kept separate from this kind of black metal. For example, some sections are more like death metal, and extended non-metal ambient sections are also common. I believe that the individual songs always work together as whole, so that the albums are meant to be listened to from start to finish as one piece.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
3. The lyrical themes involve the universe and man's place in it. I often describe cosmic events and use them to illustrate the smallness of mankind in the grander scope of existence. It's supposed to make you feel small and insignificant in the face of the cold and uncalculating nature of the universe. At the same time, it is also supposed to create a sense of awe at the mystery the universe beautifully presents to us.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
4. Mare Cognitum means "The Sea Which Has Become Known". It is the name of a lunar sea, a location on the moon. To me, it represents the process of discovery, and the mysteries that the universe holds that we may never even witness.
5.Currently there is only 1 member in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up or do you choose to remain solo?
5. I've chosen to keep this a solo project, although I may include session musicians in the near future.
6.Currently you are signed to Milam Records, how did you get in contact with this label and how would you describe the support they have given you so far?
6. I actually have not done anything with Milam Records since their release of my first album. They have actually gone inactive in terms of new releases for the time being, which was very disappointing to me. Originally, the owner of the label reached out to me out of nowhere and offered to release my music out of personal interest, which was awesome, a really great encouragement early on. We still keep in touch, but haven't done anything in terms of label business since then. The second album was self-released on my label, Lunar Meadow records, and the upcoming split with Spectral Lore will be released via I, Voidhanger records.
7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
7. The reception has been extremely good so far. It's been very interesting as I've had the opportunity to talk to and make friends with people from all over the world, since any popularity I have is 95% due to the internet. Interestingly, I have actually heard a few times from people who don't generally like black metal or even metal in general that they've enjoyed my music. As for black metal fans, some of the more orthodox types have dismissed it as modern bullshit. You can't please everyone. But for the most part black metal fans seems to find it extremely refreshing.
8.Are there any other projects besides this band or is this full time?
8. I'm not currently active in any live projects. I work on another studio project called Spirit Lapse, which is a shoegaze band. I help with drums, bass, and production of that band.
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
9.It's hard to say. The split with Spectral Lore is a bit cleaner sounding than previous releases, driven a lot more by psychedelic synthesizers and ambient sections. I've also begun writing material for another full-length, and it is coming out much more guitar riff driven and "heavier" sounding. Everything could change by the time I am done with it, though. So it's pretty hard to predict something like this
10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10.Lately I've been listening to more aggressive sounding black metal and grindcore. Not really stuff that reflects what I have planned for Mare Cognitum.
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
11. Not much! Typical stuff like movies, reading, playing video games, when I have time. I'm also a hardcore craft beer elitist.
12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
12. Thanks for the interview, and thanks to my fans which have so kindly supported the project so far. Expect great things in the future. Cheers!


Bandcamp
Facebook
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment